Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool for making routing rules

Due to a limitation in my PBX, I need to make approximately 150 routing rules, something to the effect of, 4xxx=5xxx and 7xxx=6xxx. Is there a tool or utility, similar to the Bulk Updates and Bulk Handler Create utilities that I can use to speed up the process, rather than using the SaWeb?

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Tool for making routing rules

no, there's nothing like this since making that many routing rules is generally a bad idea - that's not what they were designed to do.

You'll want to look into extension remapping files that Unity supports, that's much more appropriate to what you want to do. Under \commserver\intlib you'll see a directory called "ExtensionMapping" and under there you'll see a directory for forwarding and direct (calling) calls. Under those directories you'll see a sample file showing you how to configure them for what you want.

If Unity finds one or more files with extensions ".EXM" (doesn't matter what the file name is, just the extension) it'll load those mapping rules and it'll do the "switch-er-roo" on the calling and/or forwarding numbers before the calls are passed off to the routing rules. In this way you can easily change all incoming extensions that start with 4 to start with 5 instead or the like and you can do it with just a few lines in the file.

I'd check that out myself - routing rules in bulk like that will bring you to grief in a hurry.

Cisco Employee

Actually, now that I think about it I don't think the extension remapping made it into 2.x... you can check to be sure (I don't have a 2.4.6 system at home here to look at) but I believe it slipped into 3.0(x) and didn't get into the 2.4.6 release. Which is a bummer since that's the perfect applciation for it.

Maybe you can explain why this is necessary with your switch and we can see if there's another option here?

I knew about extension remapping in 3.0. Unfortunately, NEC/AD120 is still stuck in the world of 2.5 where it does not exist. The reason I need so many rules is because there is a situation that comes up with the NEC2000 IVS. A situation comes up every once in a while where if the end user is on his first line and a call that would normally go to his second line (different dial number) get transferred to voicemail, the call carries the ID of his second line instead of his first. "Limitation of the feature" as NTAC likes to call it. That's why I need so many ebtries for 5xxx=4xxx. Prime line and mailbox number being 5xxx and the second line being 4xxx.

Cisco Employee

ah, gotcha. You could also do this with alternate extensions in 3.x... but that's neither here nor there if you guys can't upgrade.

If it were me I'd use call handlers for the alternate extensions - set them up with the alternate greeting enabled and have the greeting set as blank and have the after greeting action set to go to the greeting for the subscriber in question. This is MUCH more scalable than routing rules to large numbers of extensions.

There is a tool for creating lots of call handers in bulk either by extension ranges or by CSV. You can get it here: http://www.CiscoUnityTools.com/App_bulk_handler_create.htm

Got it. Didn't even think about doing it that way. Too much repartee on the brain. Repartee would follow whatever is in the transfer field instead of being able to choose the transfer field or greeting field.

Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content