Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Transcoding issue

I am deploying a meeting place express. I have everything working fine when I call it intra region via G711 but when I call it from remote sites via G729 the calls fail. If I change the remote region to G711 it starts working. I know this is a trancoding issue but the phones/gateways having the issue have transcoding resources avalible in their media resource list at the site the Meeting Place Express resides. I do not understand why they are not using it. It is a 3825 dsp farm with 64 transcodeing sessions configured. It is registered but when running debugs while making calls I never see any indication anything is trying to hit it.

Does anyone have any good ideas on what would be the next step in troubleshooting this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Transcoding issue

I believe you have setup a trunk (h323 or sip) to MPX. Does your Trunk have a MRGL with a Xcoder configured ? (or at device pool level). Make sure you check the option "Media termination point required" on the trunk.

HTH

Sankar.

PS: please remember to rate posts!

3 REPLIES

I believe you have setup a trunk (h323 or sip) to MPX. Does your Trunk have a MRGL with a Xcoder configured ? (or at device pool level). Make sure you check the option "Media termination point required" on the trunk.

HTH

Sankar.

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Thanks for the reply. That was indeed one of my problems. My other configuration issue was that the region the transcoders and MPX was in was set to 729 intra region. For some reason it did not affect calls intra region but did stop transcoding from working.

On another note. I have not had alot of dealings with transcoding and am starting to see I must have some things confused. I thought phones were what would need transcoding resources in their Media Resource List but no am thinking phones would never need transcoding resources. Only conference bridges, gateways etc. Is this correct. Do you have any good recomendations or documentation explaining this.

Thanks again

This book will help you understand better about codec/transcode/confb.

Cisco Voice Gateways and Gatekeepers

By Denise Donohue, David Mallory, Ken Salhoff

Publisher: Cisco Press

Pub Date: August 17, 2006

Print ISBN-10: 1-58705-258-X

Print ISBN-13: 978-1-58705-258-3

Pages: 648

Views
Helpful
Replies