cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Transcoding to G729

MarkMonteleone
Level 1
Level 1

I have a CCM 4.1 with 3640 as PRI Gateway. I was hoping that I could transcode the calls to 729 using the NM-HDV-2T1 card that is currently trunking PRI's. Is that possible? Or can I only do this through NM-HDV-FARM and config Transcoder in CCM. Please advise asap.

5 Replies 5

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You can do transcoding on both. It comletely depends on how many dsp resources you have available for transcoding. PVDM-12s can handle 12 channels per dsp. YOu can have up to 5 on a NM-HDV, so you can have up to 60 channels. If you are using 2 PRIs on this module, you have about 12 channels left for transcoding.

HTH

Sankar.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I have 4 PVDM-12s and am only using 1 PRI, so I guess I have 2 with a potenial 3rd. You are also saying once the second PRI comes on line, then I can only transcode 12 G729 calls and 46 711 calls?

Regardless, how do I config the calls to be 729, in router or CCM?

First of all what do you need the Xcoder for?

To answer your configuration question, you assign the codec in CCM Regions, so assume two sites A and B, you create regions A and B and configure them to use G729 for calls between the 2 sites, and G711 for calls within the site for example. However, if you use Cisco IP phones you will not need a Xcoder for this call since the phones support either codec.

You can also force the codec at the dial-peer on the GW if you want to force a particular codec.

Chris

I need the codec to reduce the bandwidth usage on some WAN links. Most of these WAN links have 2420 at the other end, trunking PBX's. Understand that the phone have codec ability, understand about the regions, but how do I get the FXS on ports on the 2420 to go 729? Is there a router command at GW to issue?

When I set up region for this 2420/8FXS and did the show call active voice brief I dont see any 729 on active calls.

Please help

You will have to set up dial-peers on 2420 to send calls to Callmanager at main site. The codec under dial-peers default to g729. Under CM, you can add the 2420 as a H323 gateway.

HTH

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus