Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Transcoding with CM 3.3(2)

I haven't worked with IPT for over a year and have been assigned to a CM Pilot project.

It includes G.729 VPN users and G.711 campus users. We have a 6608 blade for T1/E1 connectivity to the PSTN local and LD as well as 3 tie lines to corporate PBX's.

I believe we will need a second 6608 (or other device) to transcode and provide for hardware conferencing. Is that correct or can the 6608 transcode/conference and support T1 voice circuits on the same blade?

Currently, the VPN and Campus phones appear to negotiate a codec and in this case, they use G.729. I recall that the older versions of CM do not provide any transcoding services but did provide software conferencing. Has anything changed?

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bronze

Re: Transcoding with CM 3.3(2)

Each port on the 6608 can be configured to do 1 thing. Each port is totally independant, so 1 port can be T1 and another can do Conferencing, etc.

There is no Software transcoder in CM still, and there is a Software conference. The software conference only supports G.711, so you will need either a transcoder or a HW conference bridge.

4 REPLIES
Bronze

Each port on the 6608 can be configured to do 1 thing. Each port is totally independant, so 1 port can be T1 and another can do Conferencing, etc.

There is no Software transcoder in CM still, and there is a Software conference. The software conference only supports G.711, so you will need either a transcoder or a HW conference bridge.

It's also a good idea to configure up any unused ports on a 6608 blade to do something (conference/transcode), otherwise they constantly reset themselves and there have been problems with one port resetting and interfering with another.

paul

Thanks. The documentation is very unclear about this blade. It states "Depending upon which software you download, the ports can serve as T1/E1 interfaces OR support transcoding and conferencing."

I assumed the "software" is an IOS or CatOS image like an MSFC or Supervisor. It would then make sense that it could do one OR the other but not both. Clear as mud to me but I'll take your word for it. Thanks again.

As previously mentioned the 6608 is completely independant module. You only need to specify in CatOS the IP address and TFTP server address for each 6608 port. TFTP server address being the CallManager that is. Each 6608 port has a unique MAC, and it this address you specify when configuring either a Gateway or Transcoder/Conferencing resource in CCM.

The CCM TFTP upload the appropriate device load depending on how the port is configured. For example there are separate device load for Conference Bride, Digital 6608 access gateway, and Media Terminate Point (Transcoder).

Therefore, you need to check the CCM matrix for appropriate revision for version of CallManager you are running.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.