Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

transfer to an extension unknown to Unity

We use an automated attendant to greet inbound calls to our main number and for use after leaving a voice message. You have the option of looking up a name or entering an extension. The attendant functions perfectly for all registered users, but you are not allowed to transfer to a valid callmanager extension. We would like to be able to transfer to extensions that do not have voicemail or transfer to other internal extensions in other facilities. Is there a way to allow access to the other extensions?<br><br>

8 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: transfer to an extension unknown to Unity

You could build call handlers to transfer to these extensions, but each extension you transfer to needs to be "known" by Unity. The extensions that you want to transfer to don't have to be Unity subscribers, but call handlers having the Extension ID of the CallManager extension you want to transfer to have to be there.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Anonymous
N/A

Steve,

So if I understand your reply, I'll have to create a new call handler for every phone number I want added. In my case that's hundreds of numbers and new call handlers. Did I get this right?

Hal

Anonymous
N/A

Yes, you got this right.

The ability to transfer to any number is a feature called "super transfer" which keeps getting bumped from version to version by the product folks. It's currently slated to be done in 3.1.

there are some security issues (i.e. we'll need another transfer restriction table to enforce which numbers outside callers can dial in this case so they can't rip you off for long distance or something) and if we want folks to have to identify themselves as subscribers first or if unidenfied callers have access to this etc...

it's a pretty twitchy subject for some folks but I definitely hear you on having to create call handlers for all those numbers if you have a lot of them. Maybe I should work out a tool to automate this process and stick it on AnswerMonkey. Something that would just take a list of numbers and chunk out call handlers set to transfer to those numbers automatically... or perhaps suck in a list of numbers from a CSV file.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

Jeff,

I see managing hundreds of call directors to be a pain, but a utility might make this easier. I might even consider adding an option to our automated attendant to let users transfer to an automated attendant in another office (add a call handler for each office and assign an option under our generic call handler). This method would simplify things significantly. I think this should work?

What will happen when I have multiple Unity servers located within the company? Will they be able to share subscriber information across servers or will I be faced with the same problem I'm trying to resolve now?

Hal

Anonymous
N/A

I'll put some cycles into a call handler bulk creation utility and see what I can come up with.

Unity 3.0 will handle sharing subscriber information across multiple Unity servers that are in a "dialing domain" (new concept coming in 3.0). The alpha directory will see all the subscribers in a dialing domain and allow transfers to them (release transfers if they're on another box...). Call handler information, however, wont be shared across boxes, at least in the 3.0 drop.

networking options in general will be significantly improved in 3.0... I have a networking overview document that I can send your way (or post on AnswerMonkey) if folks are wanting to get the nitty gritty on how this is going to work. It's 30+ pages and I can't promise seat-of-the-pants excitement, but it should get you what you need to know in the short term.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Community Member

Jeff,

I am interested in the document you mentioned. Are you going to post it on your support page? If not, could you send me a copy?

Thanks,
Erik Hensersky

Anonymous
N/A

Just popped it out on the site... you'll find it at the bottom of the 3.0 tools page.

enjoy.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

I added a new tool to the AnswerMonkey.net 2.4.x tools page tonight that will allow you to create large numbers of call handlers quickly. It's called "Bulk Call Handler Create" (yeah, it's late... the creative juices just aren't flowing). You can create a table of call handlers to blast into Unity using extension ranges and/or importing information in via CSV files.

Should make your life somewhat easier... let me know if it paints your wagon or not.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content