Replies

Transfering Messages between subscribers on diffrent mail stores

bbickerstaff
Level 1
Level 1

Unity 4.03

Exchange 2003

Unified Messaging

I have a customer that has one unity 4.0(3) server and multiple Exchange 2003 servers. When you try to forward a message between two Unity subscribers on the same Unity server (but have their mailbox on diffrent Exchange servers) you no longer have the option to forward messages via the TUI.

Is this as designed or am I missing something. I would suspect you should be able to do this?

3 Replies 3

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

How are you forwarding the message? It sounds like the properties are being stripped (i.e. the message class and media type flags used to determing that the message is a voice mail). If you're using a client such as Outlook Express or Eudora, this will happen - Outlook (and of course the Unity TUI) should preserve those properties no matter how many times you forward the message around.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "you no longer have the option" there... when you call in over the phone is the message presented as a voice mail? If so you should always be able to forward it no matter what (perhaps you can't reply to it since the sender may not be a subscriber but forward should always be an option).

There are two physically different Exchange 2003 message stores on two different hardware platforms. There is one Unity 4.03 server. Here is what happens.

If Subscriber on Exchange server A calls Subscriber on Exchange server A. You can hear the subscribers name via the TUI. "Message from John Doe"

This is what is happening.

If Subscriber on Exchange server A calls a Subscriber on Exchange Server B. The message shows up in outlook as it should Message from John Doe. If you try to access the message from the TUI it is almost like the voice message is treated like an outside call. VIA THE TUI YOU CAN NOT REPLY TO THE SUBSCRIBER.

Hope this helps, and thanks for the help

It probably IS being left as an outside caller message and not being able to reply to it is then expected behavior.

Are there two different Unity servers here? The fact that you have different message stores doesn't matter - you can have a number of message stores used by the same Unity server, that has no bearing on this at all. If you do, indeed, have two seperate Unity servers involved here in the same dialing domain then this is probably a directory synch issue of some sort.

If you have subscribers on the same Unity server and it's behaving like this then you likely have a switch integration issue where the calling number is being mangled when presented to Unity when you forward from the user's phone associated with Exchange server B. you can check the Call Viewer to test for this scenario. If the calling number is not correct then we wont be able to find the calling subscriber's mailbox and the message will be left as an outside caller message - which matches your description.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: