Views
Helpful
Replies

Traveling Voice Gateway

jheckart
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I work for a company which frequently has to set up quick and dirty sites to get connection to the home office. As of now, the individuals in these temporary remote sites will use an existing Internet connection to get into Citrix, and that is it.

I would like to be able to have a router that these temporary offices can use to connect connect back to the home office with a VPN, and utilize voip. I don't have an issue with the VPN, but I'm not sure how to accomplish the voice. I would like to have an fxo port in the router given out, and utilize the router as a gateway for local calls, and send intraoffice calls through the VPN.

I currently have a centralized CCM, and a PIX will terminate the VPN.

My question is, since I know from experience that the VPN will not always come up, what can I do on the router to allow the phone to register and utilize the PSTN off of the fxo even if the router doesn't register with CCM over the VPN? Is SRST the only way to go to make this happen? What's the best way to do this.

I'm planning on the following hardware:

- CISCO2801-V/K9

- VIC2-2FXO

- HWIC-4ESW-POE

- HWIC-AP-G-A

- PVDM2-8

Thanks,

Jeff

4 Replies 4

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Jeff,

Another option would be to setup the 2801 as a CME. This way the phones always register to the local router. You could create a trunk back to the CCM at the HQ to allow intraoffice calls. You could also use dial peers to specify that intraoffice calls use the trunk to CCM first and the local PSTN if that is unavailable.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Brandon,

I had thought about this option, but it would be more costly, and am I wrong in thinking that g711 is all that can be used over the WAN with CME?

Thanks,

Jeff

Costly in what sense? No, you can use g729 with CME.

Brandon

You can use it dear. 

Have a try and search related keyword in Google 

Best Abu Dhabi city transport transport provider in UAE
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: