Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

TTY on Unity 4.0.3

I am trying to get TTY to work with Unity and have two problems:

1) I have the TTY device connected to an ATA 188 (administered with SCCP) and then am sharing a line with a 7960 IP phone with barge-in enabled. When I go off hook with the TTY device, I am unable to barge-in from the IP phone to allow me to enter touch tones from the IP phone. The only way I can enter touch tones is via an analog phone connected to the TTY device. Is there any way to use a TTY device along with an IP phone?

2) I have some lines administered for TTY in Unity. When I dial into a station those mailbox is TTY-enabled, when Unity answers the call, it properly sends the greeting in TTY format. However, once the greeting is done and after it says to leave a message, it switches out of TTY mode to voice mode and says something like "I'm sorry, I'm unable to take your message now. Please try again later." Likewise, if I dial and log on to the mailbox as a subscriber and then try to create a message in TTY to be sent to another user, I am unable to actually record a message in TTY format. Bottom line is that Unity plays prompts in TTY format, but refuses to record anything in TTY. My mailboxes that are administered for pure voice have no such problem.

6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: TTY on Unity 4.0.3

For your 2nd problem, that prompt that is being played means a serious system error occured for that mailbox that prevented us from continuing with the call - that's the hard coded "failsafe" message - there will be one or more errors in the application event log whenever that happens - if you can go get the full text of that error message and post it here we could get a better idea of what is going on - It very likely has nothing at all to do with the fact that the incoming call is TTY.

Here is what is in the event log:

Source: CiscoUnity_Miu

Event ID: 541

Explanation: An invalid Wav file or stream has been encountered on port 1 during a playback operation. Parties involved in this call will experience odd behavior, since the current Wave Playback operation will be skipped, but the call should continue to the next stage.

Technical details: Thread 0x00001164 had a failure on port 1 in Method CAvMiuLine::GetMediaStreams

Following this message is an error message saying that a file could not be located. However, since part of the missing file extension was "failsafe" and another part was "ENX", I assume that this represented the system looking for the failsafe message in the TTY language directory and not find it; that would explain the switch back to spoken English.

In replicating the problem, it is ONLY when I have the destination station/mailbox assigned the language of TTY. When I change it back to English, the problem disappears.

Cisco Employee

Any chance your ports are setup to only play G729a to the calls coming in or something? If you've installed the ENX prompt set it sounds like for whatever reason the MIU is balking at playing G711 MuLaw prompts to the call coming in. Either that or the ENX prompts were not properly installed.

Also, if you check under the \commserver\localize\prompts\ directory, what directories/subdirectories to you see under there? You should see an ENU and an ENX directory and under thosee you should see a 711 directory - if you see 711 and 729 respectively, then there could be a problem (you can't mix 711 and 729a with TTY - the Baudot tones get trashed by the 729a compression).

I have checked CallManager - it is set for G.711; I have verified that the ENU and ENX directories are there and have only g.711 under them.

The problem does not appear to be in playing TTY prompts; rather, it is in recording TTY messages. At least that is what it appears to be since the TTY greeting is played as expected. It's only when the system should be recording a message (and likely is assuming TTY input, since the language is set to TTY) that it has a problem.

Cisco Employee

no, Unity does not "expect TTY Input" at all - that's definitely not it. We're simply recording a G711 WAV file - Unity does not know or care that it happens to be TTY tones. You have a more fundamental issue at hand that has nothing at all to do with TTY/TDD I suspect. This setup is installed in numerous rather large sites around the country with no problems so I'm very confident there's nothing related to ENX/TTY specifically here.

If the error is coming up when you are recording a message it's either the codec issue at play or the user you're leaving a message for is having a basic problem. This is something TAC will have to help you run down I'm afraid since the details I have here aren't helping much...

Cisco Employee

Just a follow up here - this could be related to a bug where the TTY recorded "beep" (which should play out as "GA" on the TTY screen) is missing or is not played by the MIU. This is CSCec85905 - it's fixed in the engineering special ES23 for Unity 4.0(3)...

Views
Helpful
Replies