Views
Helpful
Replies

UK Dial Plan

8gsiaw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everybody,

Has anyone pointers as how to create a decent UK dialplan or has one to share? I am currently putting one together but looks quite a daunting exercise and honestly believe there must be a easier way out, at least to the I carrying on.

George.

15 Replies 15

garland
Level 1
Level 1

I too am after an implementation of the UK Dial Plan - purely to make CallMgr act like a proper PBX!

Outbound PSTN dialing depends on pattern matching between 7 & 11 digits ?

9.! pattern requires waiting for 10sec or tinkering with inter-digit timeout - generally unacceptable to users.

9.!# pattern requires re-educating users to press the # key - they don't appreciate spending millions to get something pre Alexander Graham Bell!

I agree, a UK dial plan to mimic the NANP concept seems too complex...

I have some OFTEL papers and the OFTEL spreadsheet with the number allocations (it's huge!) but haven't tried to convert it to CM patterns - how far have you got?

Does anyone know any way around this?

Did a full'ish dial plan a oupleof years ago. Took me a week to make sense of the OFTEL docs alone.

I didn;t take a copy before I finished on the clients site (DOH!) but should be able to redo it. The hardwork is understanding the OFTEL stuff.

Will post with progress, give me a week or so.

The best I have managed is to restrict it to about 18 entries in the Route patterns. These have to be repeated if there are multiple sites accross the country each with their own gateway. I have not managed to eradicate the need for the timeout or # but you can make it better. You also need to use multiple entries to allow Call Barring

Have you thought about using MGCP and overlap sending with Callmanager. This will allow the ISDN layer 3 messaging to be backhauled to Callmanager and each digit sent individually to the PSTN where the PSTN sorts out the dial plan??

Let me know if you want any more details

Im afraid its something you've just got to buckle down and do. We had to do. Im happy to share some things on here. But this is something that I cant really do especially as a lot of our competitors use this forum.

Sorry, I hope you understand. Its worth the pain though, you dont get any interdigit timeout delays after its done.

The dialplan size isn't too bad, but the main problem I have found is that BT still use 10 digit numbers on some lines. I haven't yet found a pattern to this to avoid using specific route patterns for each 10 digit number discovered. Anyone found and easier method? thanks.

ibutterw
Level 1
Level 1

I have an updated UK dial plan that can be made available. Although it is Cisco originated, it is not TAC supported, so use it at your own risk. It is still a 'work in progress' in some respects. However, any problems with it, or suggestions let me know. Send me an email if you want a copy.

Ian

Ian,

Could you please send me the UK dial plan you have? That would be great. Please send it to van@mykungfuisthebest.com.

Thanks.

I am currently working on an improved UK dial plan that should eliminate any problems with 5 digit subscriber numbers in some areas. This has added about 150 route patterns to the file. I am in the process of testing it to make sure that it does not have any nasty effects on CCM. So far it looks good.

There will still be an issue with 0800 numbers as the allocation is in very small blocks and this would require a large number of route patterns to implement.

I will mail out the new file to those who have requested it once I am happy with the testing.

Ian

Ian,

do you have China dial plan? if you have, please sent a copy to me.

Thanks,

Ron

Ron,

The telecom carriers in both Shanghai and Taipei have special requirements in terms of how they handle ISDN-2 (BRI) circuit provisioning. There are two numbers assigned to each BRI circuit; one is considered primary and the other secondary. The number pairs may or may not be out of the same numbering range, and may or may not be contiguous from circuit to circuit. In terms of what is actually deployed, Shanghai and Taipei differ a bit on how the number pairs are assigned. In Shanghai, the main numbers for the circuit take the form of +86 (2) 33080XXX, whereas the secondary numbers take the form of +86 (2) 33085XXX. The numbers are not contiguous from circuit to circuit, but the primary and secondary numbers do have the last three digits in common. For example, the first BRI circuit in Shanghai has +86 (2) 33080772 as its main number, and +86 (2) 33085772 as its secondary number.

I will also send you the dial plan the we used.

Stephen

Ron

Sorry, I have only done a UK numbering plan.

Ian

Please could you send me a copy of the dial plan for the UK. I would be very grateful. My email address is anthony.warren@medway.gov.uk

Many thanks,

Anthony Warren

slurie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi George

I'm sending you an EU Dial Plan. Just remember to statically assign the TEI to 0 when configuring the ISDN circuits.

Stephen