cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UK ISDN Voice Card

snagelipphone
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer that is bringing up a site in the UK with the Call Managers in the US. The telco (British Telephone) provides their current PABX with ISDN Voice Circuits instead of pots lines like we do here in the US. I'm trying to confirm that the ISDN Voice Card I need is a Cisco VIC2-2BRI-NT/TE? Does anyone know if this is the proper card?

1 Reply 1

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

I'm a UK person - that VIC will work fine for what BT term an ISDN2e (BRI to you).

BT will supply whatever you want - if you want FXO connectivity (which I presume is what you mean by POTS lines) then standard analogue loops are a available but tend to be used more in homes... BRI is much more reliable.

As I say though, the VIC2-2BRI is fine - the only odd bit is that you'll need to set your compand type to a-law or calls will get dropped outbound. Also if you have more than a single number assigned to the BRI you will need to have point-to-point setup enabled, and static TEI assigned like so:

interface BRI0/0/0

no ip address

isdn switch-type basic-net3

isdn point-to-point-setup

isdn incoming-voice voice

isdn static-tei 0

The companding is set on the voice-port:

voice-port 0/0/0

compand-type a-law

cptone GB

Let me know if you need any further help.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: