cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Un-unified UM

jcarr
Level 1
Level 1

I've recently converted from VM to UM (4.0.2) with Exchange 2000. While most users like it, I have a few who do not and want the old behavior back where they do not see voice messages in e-mail. Is there a way to do this without giving them a 2nd Exchange account or is this the best way?

3 Replies 3

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, you'll have to create 2nd email boxes for them and hide them in the address book if you want to have them not see their voice mail at the desktop for whatever reason.

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi - Hopefully this is NOT a dumb question? Why did these users not like the unified messaging? Of our 420+ customers using UM, about 5 users stated they did not like it back in April 2000 (primarily because they were not PC-users) and had difficulty adjusting to 3 new technologies at once (IP phones, UM, and using a PC). We originally gave a 1-hour IP phone/UM training session to all users and also have two customer websites (one for CallManager and one for Unity). Now our customers say UM is an integral part of their productivity - particularly where they can respond to urgent emails via voicemail on the way into work. Also, if any of your users spend some time telecommuting, you could demonstrate the added benefits of having unified messaging, and the ability to send a voicemail to a non-Unity subscriber (to their home Internet account for example). Hopefully, you are just dealing with adaptation to change and I don't sound like I'm preaching to the choir too much :-)

Best wishes, Ginger

Probably the largest class of UM detracters are those who, for one reason or another, don't live in Windows for their desktop OS. We've got a few Macintosh users & more than a few Unix (Linux/Solaris mostly) users. They don't get the benefits of VMO. Also, some don't have speakers on their PCs, find headsets a bother, can't play thru their phone (no VMO) or don't want their VM played to their neighbors. They don't otherwise use sound on their PCs. For them, voice messages in their e-mail mailboxes are not helpful. When they touch the VM message in whatever they are using for their email client, it gets marked as read & the TUI presents it as a saved message, rather than new. Also the MWI goes off then. And some are just chronic complainers.

We have not provided TTS yet, and probably won't. Most of our users are more email centric and not particularly mobile (there are, of course, exceptions). Nor have we integrated fax, though that is a possibility.

But most users have been very accepting. Travellers and telecommuters really like it. Training sessions get light attendance. When we've provided individual training, most who dislike it remain unconvinced.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: