Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to delete saved message

We have a user that when checks voice mail on her phone, it will announce x number of new messages and 1 saved message. When we listen to the saved message we here nothing and are unable to skip or cancel out of it. There is nothing to delete in here Outlook Inbox either. Any ideas?<br><br><br>Matt Slaga<br>TimeBridge Technologies<br>MCNE, MCSE2k-4.0-3.51, CCNA, CIPT2.0

9 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Unable to delete saved message

Interesting... our filters must be picking up on a hidden or corrupted entry in the Exchange store for that user. If you add a new message to the inbox and mark it read, does it pick that one up AND the "phantom" message as well?

I haven't seen this specific thing before, but I have read tech notes on Exchange about messages getting stranded or half deleted etc... in a message store. I don't know of any tools to purge a message store of extraneous items that might be hanging around for some reason, but I'll poke around in MSDN tomorrow to see what I can find.

If you get in a jam and you really have to clear this, you can save the persons' messages and folders off, delete them as a Unity subscriber, delete the Exchange account, recreate it, add them back as a Unity subscriber and restore their messages. Annoying but that should work.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Anonymous
N/A

We are seeing the same problem. I've used mdbvu32 to look at all the hidden messages in the Inbox folder and none of them remotely resemble a Unity message. Using 'mark all read' and 'mark all unread' we could toggle the phantom message between the 'new' and 'saved' vmails. Getting rid of and re-creating the mailbox does solve, well, circumvent the problem.

Unity 2.4.5.66, Exchange 5.5-SP3

Anonymous
N/A

Interesting...

could you see the message classes of the hidden items easily with that tool? If so (assuming the list is reasonably finite) could you tell me what they were? The obvious message types such as IPM.NOTE.VOICE.UNITY would be easy to spot but there's also receipts and NDRs that could be picked up by our filters that wouldn't be as obvious (or fax messages perhaps?).

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice

Anonymous
N/A

the message classes of the hidden items are:
IPM.Rule.Message - 7 objects
IPM.Note.Rules.OofTemplate.Microsoft
IPM.Microsoft.FolderDesign.NamedView

unfortunately, the inbox has 4400 unhidden messages and the tool has no filters or sorting by properties so i'd have to look at them all one at a time - not an option at the moment.

btw - i also get a group of eventlog entries when unity tries to retrieve the phantom messages, beginning with:

AvConvMsg_MC 10002
IAvDohRecipients::get_All returned [0x80040900] on line 316 of file h:\CommSvr\Sources\AvConvSubscriber\AvConvSubMsgPlaySvr\AvSResubmitMessage.cpp

Anonymous
N/A

since you mentioned NDRs, i went looking and found one. when i move it out of the Inbox the problem goes away. move it back, the problem returns. the NDR has a message class of "Report.IPM.NOTE.NDR" and was from april - we just installed unity in december and the NDR is unrelated to unity. is this a problem that can be fixed?

Anonymous
N/A

By default Unity catches all NDRs in our basic filters and presents them as voice mails. There’s a long a sorted explanation for why this is having to do with digital networking, remote deliveries failing, folks not necessarily having TTS licenses etc… but the basic reason is the total size of our filters we apply to your inbox can only be so large. If they get too big, Exchange has a nasty little quirk where it will leak a bit into the PRIV.EDB and not give it back… ever. So eventually it’ll crank up your Exchange database size and the only way to get it back is to do an off line recovery. Not cool. Since our filters can only be so long, we couldn’t include every possible derivation of NDR (i.e. specific voice and fax delivery failures) so we catch all NDRs.

Now that you know more than you ever wanted to about filtering your inbox… There’s no way to turn this off for NDRs currently. We can turn off filtering for message receipts system wide if you want, but not NDRs. I can look into how hard it would be to optionally not filter on NDRs system wide similar to the receipts option, but filtering on specific NDRs is probably not an option with Exchange 5.5 since it’ll make our filters too long.

The real problem is why this guy is sticking around in your mailbox since April which is more interesting (or was this just a regular old NDR sticking around in the inbox?).

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice

Anonymous
N/A

the ndr is in response to an old email. this user, our business office administrator, just keeps everything for about a year.

it sounds like perfecting the filters is not a workable strategy. thats ok, people can augment the filters.

the problem at the moment is that after the ndr is partially read and attempts to name the recipient that couldn't receive the message, unity disconnects with the message "sorry this system is temporarily unable to complete your call, please call again later. good bye." this is rather abrupt and i have not been able to delete the message using the phone, a la press 3 while unity reads the message. perhaps a better strategy is for unity to not end the conversation and to offer the usual options for managing a message via the phone in these cases.

Anonymous
N/A

We play the fail safe conversation (the "I can't talk to you now...") only when we get an error we can't recover from... in this case Exchange must be yacking on us when we try to open that "partially read" message. It's not a simple matter of pressing on, we probably didn't get a handle back we needed to proceed handling the message. I'm guessing we probably wouldn't be able to delete the message in this case regardless...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice

Anonymous
N/A

anything you want me to check, i.e., msg properties or turn up diagnostics in exchange, to learn more?

the visual difference in the ndr that causes trouble, and another that is processed ok by unity is that the one that is processed ok is a "sendmail 550 user unknown" non-delivery while the one that failed is a case where exchange won't deliver to a discussion group because of access restrictions on the discussion group.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content