cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to dial extensions in Unity

pmccloud
Level 1
Level 1

When someone calls into Unity, they are unable to dial an extension. You hear a message "Sorry, I did not recognize that as a valid entry." Search by name works, and all the call handlers work. It is a Unity 3.1(3) server.

Thanks.

14 Replies 14

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So you dial the extension number you have setup for a subscriber and it doesn't work but you dial an extension for a call handler you have setup and it does work?

Based on that description, this is very likely a subtle configuration thing... honest, the lookups for subscribers and call handlers are identical because, in actuality, subscribers are "tied" to a call handler and when we're looking up an extension it searches in exactly the same mannor.

Typical scenarios I've seen that have tripped folks along these lines would include "locking" a key on the opening greeting which causes the key to be acted on immediately or thrown away. So if you, for instance, had the "4" key set to "locked" and "ignore" and you dialed "1234" it'd throw the 4 away and lookup 123 and not find a match. If you dialed another number, however, it'd go through fine.

This is something perhaps the StatusMonitor.exe application could help with. It shows activity on ports including DTMF input and which conversations are envoked as a result and the like. If eyeballing the opening greeting configuration doesn't help, we can go there next.

I checked the opening greeting settings. Nothing has been changed in there. It is still the default configuration, with no key mappings. Actually, with further testing, you cannot dial directory numbers for the call handlers either, but the key mappings I have for them work. This includes transfering to subscriber extensions.

I double checked the key mapping. I made sure that all the keys are not set to lock this key. I tried unchecking the box for allow caller to dial an extension during greeting. When I tried to dial an extension then it ignored what I put in. I tried running the status monitor to see what dtmf tones where being passed, but didn't see any showing up. It seems to be receiving tones since the options I have set in other call handlers are working.

well... I gotta ask the obvious first... you are dialing the number that corresponds to the extension number of a user, right? If you search for that extension for subscribers in the SA you will get a match, correct? I have to ask since more than one site has used, say, 4 digit numbers for their subscriber extensions in Unity and then were trying to dial a 7 or 10 digit number to reach users. (You can use alternate extensions for such functionality, by the way).

Beyond that your description doesn't leave me with a lot of ideas on what else would be wrong. The status monitor should show DTMF events if they're coming through and it sounds like it does.

Make sure your running the StatusMonitor.exe out of \commserver\techtools\ and when you fire it up the "application" and "Conversation" checkboxes are marked and you hit "start all monitors". In the "Conversations State" pane for the port that's active you should see a "DTMF [x]" when the first digit is hit where X is the number pressed. After you finish entering numbers you should see another "DTMF[xxxx]" where the string is the remaining digits dialed for the lookup. It's done this way since the first digit interrupts the greeting (unless you have it locked to ignore) and it'll wait to collect other digits to see where you want to go. This should indicate which numbers are being collected and looked up.

If that exact extension isn't associated with a call handler or a subscriber in the system then you'll get the "I didn't recognize that..." prompt.

Unfortunately, I am dialing the correct extensions. I wish it was that easy to fix. I checked the DTMF with status monitor. When I dial an extension 5504, the dtmf tones show up as

DTMF [5]

DTMF [504]

So it looks like Unity is trying to process the first digit and ignoring the rest. I don't have any action set for the 5 key, and the lock this key option is not checked.

I tried setting up a subscriber with alternate extensions of both 5 and 504, but that didn't help. It still gives the same message.

No, you're reading that output wrong... look at my last post. What you see there with the 5 and then the 504 is normal, that is what you see when you dial 5504. the first 5 event terminates the greeting play and then the 504 is the collection of the rest of the digits. What you show there is exactly what you want to see.

The only thing that I can think of that's wrong here is 5504 is not found in the DTMF_ID table. Did you check by searching for 5504 by extension in the SA for subscribers as I mentioned in my last post? I know you're sure these are valid extensions but I have to ask.

There isn't anything else I can think of and Unity doesn't have (and hasn't had) anything broken along these lines, honest. All I can suggest at this point is to get into your system remotely and do some tests.

Yes, I checked to make sure I could look up the subscriber by that extension. I also tried a few other ones. I also see what you mean by that is the way the output is supposed to look, I checked on another Unity server that dialing extensions works.

I guess time to open a TAC case.

Any resolve on this...I am getting the same thing happening on our system. I did an import using DiRT and since then, it does not recognize the extension when dialed directly.

If you have remote access via WTS into your system, ping me directly at "lindborg@cisco.com". I'd like to take a look at what's going on under the hood there...

tmaurello_2
Level 1
Level 1

When you call into Unity, is it pointing you to the default Opening Greeting, or is it a new handler? Did you modify the caller input option on the handler. I have seen an issue if you set some of the keys to "Ignore Key" and check the "Locked" box.

Im getting something similar, that we've just noticed. We're running Unity 3.1.3 integrated with CallManager 3.1. In our setup, if no user picks up on a main number, a subscriber call handler picks up and gives the users several options. Everything on this works great -- all the options work, users can dial by extension during the greeting, etc. If what they type in is invalid, it defaults to the opening greeting. Good so far. Once they hit the opening greeting though, they can no longer dial by extension. It always says: "Sorry, I do not recognize that as a valid entry...". We have a single option to press 1 to dial by name during the opening greeting and this works fine. If you get thrown into any other call handler, such as the operator, dialing by extension works just fine during the greeting.

Any ideas?

Best guess is you have one or more of the user import keys "locked" on your opening greeting which means they take action right away and don't wait to see if you're going to dial additional digits. If, for instance, you have "0" locked it'll act right away when a 0 is entered regardless of if it's in the middle of an extension number or not (known bug).

check all your user imput keys and make sure none of them are locked and make sure you have the inter digit delay configured (i.e. by default it's 1.5 seconds).

Actually, I figured this one out. In caller input, two keys, 0, and # were set to ignore but also had the lock checkbox on. I removed the lock and saved and now its working fine. This would be a bug, I'd take it, yeah?

A locked and ignored key means Unity till throw it away immediately... it SHOULD only do this with the first key entered that interrupts the prompt itself and not for subsequent keys - so if you dial 1001, for instance, the 0s would not be thrown away. There is a known bug (fixed in 4.0 I believe) where ANY locked key is thrown away... so if 0 is locked and you dial 1001, Unity looks up 11, which would result in no match and the resulting "I'm sorry, I didn't hear that entry"...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: