cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to import users due to server crash

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I had a Unity server crash due to a power failure. I have built a new Unity server version 2.4.6. I am now unable to import my existing users from Exchange. How do I remove the attributes from Exchange so Unity will see the users for import?<br><br>

9 Replies 9

Not applicable

You can try downloading the updated dbWalker utility off my web page... I haven't tried it on a system in the field yet but it should pick up the "stranded mail users" for you on the fly and remove their properties. Try running it in "read only" mode (i.e. don't set either checkbox at the top). If it doesn't find a bunch of orphaned subscribers, then it's assuming those users are associated with another Unity server in the same site.

In that case you'll need to open the Exchange properties in raw mode and delete the voice mail user ID value. Use the “-r” command line argument for the Exchange administrator application, view raw properties on the user, and go look at the Voice Mail User ID. If it has “1” in there, that means we think it’s a subscriber. If you set this to 0 or remove it, you should be able to then import that mail user as a subscriber again and we’ll create their call handler etc… after you set it to 0, Unity may have to resync with Exchange which can take up to 10 minutes or you can force a resync by restarting Unity if you’re in a hurry.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

I have an Existing Exchange server and a voice only Exchange server installed with Unity. I removed the Voice Mail User ID from the main exchange server. I receive an error when trying to import saying an object with this name already exists please choose a different name. I also ran DBWalker on the Unity server not the main exchange server.

Not applicable

I'm not sure I undertand what you're saying here... it doesn't matter what server you run the utility on or where Unity is installed... if it's all in one Exchange site, the directory is shared and properties are replicated around all the servers in the site, right?

if you removed the voice mail ID from a mail user account in Exchange, you may have to wait for this to replicate around before Unity will note that it's someone that can be imported as a voice mail subscriber again.

I'm not sure I'm following exactly what you have going on here...

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

I have waited for the replication to happen, I also stopped and started Unity to force a replication as you said. The user shows up in the list to import, but when I select add user I receive the error: Object with this name already exists. Please choose a different name.

Not applicable

Hmmmm... it says "name" already exists, not "extension"? That's a very strange error. Even if there's an orphaned call handler behind that subscriber the SA deals with that on the fly and will write over the old one in its way. The only reason you'd get that error is if there were a VALID primary call handler (i.e. hooked to a real subscriber) that matches the alias of the subscriber you're trying to import (which should never happen).

I'm wondering if these users that you're trying to import have valid primary call handlers still hooked up to them (which might be the case based on your description). If you run dbWalker on your system, does it report a bunch of orhpaned handlers or not? More to the point, does it report an orphaned handler for the guy you removed the "Voice mail ID" for in Exchange? If so, go ahead and let it remove that orphan and try the import again. If it works, then I think I know what the deal is and there should be a fairly easy work around. If not, I'm thinking I'd need to be able to call into your box and look around to see what's going on...

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

Running DohPropTest and looking at CallHandlers, the users were listed as objects. Deleting them from the CallHandler field and reseting the AVP_CUSTOM PROPERTIES to 0 let me import the users.

Not applicable

OK.

Sounds that the system was simply left standing and you installed a new Unity server so those users were completely valid with proper primary call handlers, but the new Unity server thought they were associated with another Unity server in the site (they were).

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

That's exactly what happened. Like I said I had a total server crash and I just pulled out a new server a built it from scratch. Even though I used the same license key and same server name, it lost it's associations with the users that were already defined.

Not applicable

When Unity is installed, it creates a unique SYSTEM ID that it uses to 'tag' accounts that belong to it. This is so you can have more than one Unity in the same Exchange site. Even if you use the same server name & license info, the System ID will be different. If you didn't kill the custom properties on the Exchange accounts, the new Unity will see the subscribers as belonging to another Unity machine -- one that unfortunately no longer exists.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: