Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unable to open 729.a wave files in Win Media Playe

If I get an unity voice message in my e-mail and try to open it with Windows Media player it doesn't have the 729.a codec. Any ideas where to get the codec for WMP and install it? I want my users to be able to hear messages via Outlook.<br><br>Thanks!<br><br>Adam<br><br>

4 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Unable to open 729.a wave files in Win Media Playe

The 729a codec is not a free, publicly available codec. We have to pay a license to a company for it on each system we ship out the door and the VMO install covers that license. We're not yet able to allow folks to install the G729a codec on their Windows machines for this scenario. If you want folks that are not running G729a and are not using an up scale media player (i.e. CoolEdit) that supports G729a directly, then you'll need to make sure you have the default message codec on Unity set to someting that plain-jane Windows users can open such as G711.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

I don't suppose there is any way to have it do 729 to internal telephones and store messages as 711? 99% of my users are on the other side of a T-1 away from Unity and it would be great if they could listen/save/edit their mailboxes in g.711 and have the message stores be g.729. Would a transcode session work (I think this is the IP Switch forum now).

Thanks,

Adam Feind

Anonymous
N/A

of course you can do this... if you set the default recording format to be 711, phones calling in that only support G729a negotiate a 729 connection we Unity and we transcode to 729a on the fly. You lose a little sound quality in the process but that's about it.

the opposite is also true... if you have a default recording format of 729a and a 711 device attaches, we transcode to 711 on the fly. Again, whenever you transcode between codecs you're going to lose a little sound quality.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

If you purchase the VMO license can you play any 729 .wav attachment, or does it have to come from Unity/Exchange?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content