cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to retrieve VMs

pstuder
Level 1
Level 1

I am having problems with about 3 users out of 170 or so that are unable to retrieve their VM messages. When they log in, they are told "you have xx messages" When they go to retrieve them, all they hear is "end of messages" and then "you have xx new messages". Any ideas? Corrupt mailboxes in Exchange? How can I fix this?<br><br>Thanks!<br><br>

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

Make a message profile for one of these accounts and open Outlook on the Unity server and take a look at their inbox. I kinda doubt it's corruption but anything's possible. See what messages are in there and if they can be played.

One possibility is that the dates on the messages are in the future (you see this from time to time if the times among all the Exchange servers in a site are not synced properly... or don't adjust for daylight savings or the like). Unity filters on your inbox and pulls out the voice mail count based on how many messages have a message class of IPM.Note.Voice.Unity but as it goes into the stack to play them, timestamps in the future are skipped (at least through 2.4.0... I seem to remember we removed that restriction, I'll have to check... I'm not sure what version you're running so that may or may not be important).

It could also be something in the inbox we're not liking (we've run into unusal return receipts from shared public folders and the like that have tripped us up), but that's not very likely.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Thanks. We created a message profile and opened Outlook on the Unity server. When we tried to open one of the users' folder, it showed that he had 41 mesages but it also told us that we could not access Exchange because of network problems. This does not make sense since others are working just fine. We were unable to view any of his messages.

Not applicable

Well... sounds like you've at least removed Unity from the equation here. If you can't get at the user's message store properly using Outlook, you need to troubleshoot that one through. Unity is using the same libararies (MAPI) to access folks' messages that Outlook is.

That's kind of an odd problem... I've never seen that type of thing before.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: