cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to send or forward messages

shouyisun
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to send or forward messages through Unity to some subscribers. System responds "Sorry, this

recipient's e-mail address does not exist". The other users are working fine.

15 Replies 15

jschless
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you verify these subscribers actually have a mailbox? Are you attempting to forward to a Distribution List or directly to a subscriber? Are you attempting to send directly via the TUI or possibly VMO/VMI? More info is necessary in this situation. (i.e. what version of Unity/Exch)

The response you get is a failsafe - check the application log for more information regarding this event.

Jeff Schlesser

Hi guys,

I am experiencing a slightly different problem. When the subscribers reply a message through their phone, the recipient can hear it through the phone but it does not show up in their Outlook. I verified that both users were logged in.

I am using Unity 3.1.3.

Thanks,

Ade

Unless the subscriber is getting at the messages in the "UMR conversation" (the limited conversation available when the companion Exchange server Unity is hooked up to is unavailable for whatever reason) you must be looking at the wrong inbox. Unity pulls subscriber messages directly from an Exchange mailbox (when not in UMR mode) so if they're getting their messages over the phone, they have to be in Exchange. If you're not seeing them in Outlook you have to be viewing the wrong inbox.

Hi guys,

Okay, I decided to test this myself. I found out that I could forward messages but I could not reply to them. Unfortunately, the user concerned was not in so I could not reconfirm. When I press 4 after the message to reply the message, Unity tells me that "the message can not get a reply". However, when I press 5 I am able to forward the message. It sounds really strange.

That would make complete sense if the message was from an unidientified caller. If the message is not presented as "from " then you can forward it to anyone but you can't reply to it. That's expected...

The message was from an identified caller. Yet I still could not reply. It says "the message can not get a reply". Yet the subscriber has a Unity voice mailbox with a valid exchange account.

Like I said earlier, it is really strange.

I hate to press the point, but I really think the source of your problem is the caller was NOT identified. How, exactly, did Unity present the message? Just because it was from someone you know is a subscriber and they might have called from their extension and you expect Unity to know this (which it should... you could be looking at an integration issue here) that does NOT mean Unity actually left the message as a sub to sub message. If Unity did not say "message from " then it is not considered an identified message.

There's no other reason Unity wouldn't allow a reply. Take a look at the message in Outlook... I'm betting dimes to dollars it's from the "Unity messaging system" account and not the subscriber who sent the message.

Hi Jeff,

You've hit the nail right on the head. It does say Unity Messaging System in Outlook. How then can a sub to sub message be sent? I always thought once you were logged in to the and you are identified as a Unity subscriber, there should be no problem.

Thanks for your help.

Adeolu

If you log into your mailbox and send messages via the subscriber conversation, all your messages with be sub to sub and folks can respond. If you call a subscribers extension from your own extension, the message should automatically be left as a sub to sub since we'll see the calling number matches a subscriber. This can be turned off system wide (not all sites like this) but you would have had to edit the registry to do it.

Typically if this isn't working it's because the calling number isn't being sent to us properly. This can be verified by popping open the call viewer application which you'll find in the tools depot or in the unity program group and doing a test call from a phone for a user causing you problems and see what it's showing there.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Unfortunately, I did not set up the system from scratch and so I found out about the more salient details day after day. I could not test from those particular phones because the users were verybusy, but I did test from two other phones and found the situation to be the same : the only time I was able to send a sub-to-sub message was through the Unity interface when logged in. Anytime I just dropped a message by calling the other user, it just said it was from "Unity Messaging System".

It is my guess that this registry setting was probably edited. Could you please tell me the name of the actual key involved? I will still try testing from the actual phones involved.

Regards

I really doubt the registry setting was added... the key is found here:

HKLM\Software\Active Voice\Conversations\1.0 and the key name is "DisableISMSystemWide". By default the key is not even there which means identified subscriber messaging is enabled. If the key is there and it's set to 1 then someone disabled ISM. This key is also visible in the latest Advanced Settings Tool version.

I suspect the problems lies with the calling numbe we're getting from the phone system in this scenario. Did you pop open the call viewer and check what call information is coming in when you did those test calls as I suggested? This should most definitely be your next troubleshooting step if you can repro the problem using phones associated with subscribers.

Hi Jeff,

Believe it or not, that was the problem. I checked in the registry for that key and the DWORD was set to 1. I set the value to zero and, after that, sub to sub messaging worked like magic. Thanks for your help. I have downloaded the latest Advanced settings tool so that I can always view this key with ease.

Regards,

Ade

wow... an easy one, score. Glag you got it figured out.

My guess is the registry setting has not actually been changed. As Jeff L had mentioned earlier, you might be dealing with an Integration issue. Again, check the Integration Monitor/Call Viewer (PBX/CM) to see what info is being sent when from phone to phone (and NOT logged into the Unity system). It is clear that this issue involves the integration.

When a user hits the 'Message' button or dials the pilot number, are they getting prompted to enter their password? Or are they getting prompted to first enter their ID, then their password. If they are getting prompted to enter their ID, then Unity is not recognizing it as a Unity subscriber. This would explain when that caller dials another IP phone/subscriber and leaves a message. Unity does cannot identifiy it properly, thus uses the Unity Message System account instead.

Jeff Schlesser

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: