cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unaddressed Messages 3.1.5 Unified

clark.nguyen
Level 1
Level 1

After handing the Unity system over to the customer, their Administrator looked around AD and did not recognize the unaddressedmessage distribution group. Not knowing it was tied to Unity, he deleted the group out of AD. After reading Cisco docs on the unaddressed message distribution group, it is one of the three groups that cannot be deleted through SA. Knowing that this is the list where overflow of voice messages will end up when a mailbox is full, where will it overflow to now? Is there anyway to undo the delete in exchange? Is there any other effect on the system if that DL is not present. I rebooted the server and everything still seems to be working fine. Any input would be great

thanks

clark

7 Replies 7

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is a serious issue and you should definitely create that DL again and make sure things are hooked up properly. This DL is where all messages that can't be delivered for any reason go (i.e. due to a full mailbox or too many attempts to connect to a mailstore that's off line for an extended period etc...). These messages will be lost entirely now while the system is in this state. That's bad.

You can rebuild the default objects (including the public DLs) by running the FixDefaultObjects.sql script - it was created for situations just like this (or where folks accidentally deleted the say goodbye handler or the like). You can run it using ConfigMgr.exe found under \commserver\. Select the "run database configuration script" option and then use the browse button to select the "FixDefaultObjects.sql" script then hit "run".

After you finish running the script you'll need to force Unity to sync with the directory to make sure that DL is in the directory properly again. You can do this by running "Setup /sync" from the \commserver\ConfigurationSetup directory. Just hit next and you'll see the fab pencil writing in a book for a while as it works.

That should put things back in a right state.

great that is what i wanted to hear, i'll let you know how it goes.

I ran the FixDefaultObjects.sql and it worked fine. I'm trying to sync Unity and AD with the directions you gave me and the application will not run. Basically I browse to the Setup.exe and put /sync after it "Setup.exe /sync" and it will not run. I've tried forward slash backward slash with and without spaces. I'm tempted to just click on the Setup.exe to see if I get the option to Sync, but during previous installs I do not remember that being an option.

please advise

clark

are you running the setup out of the \commserver\configurationSetup\ directory (not the commserver directory). it wont give you the option to sync when you run it... and you wouldn't have run this directly during installs...

yes, i am trying to run the setup out of the \commserver\configurationSetup\ directory not the \commserver\ directory. The reason I ask if this is the ran during installs is because once I run the Setup.exe in the \commserver\configurationSetup/ directory it says "Welcome to the Unity Cofiguration Wizard" "This wizard helps you configure your message store and other Cisco Unity server settings." It reminds me of the Configuration Set Up Incon on the Unity desktop. And actually when I look at the properties of the Configuarion setup icon, the path is pointed to \commserver\configurationSetup directory.

please advise

So when you run "setup /sync" nothing comes up at all? Nothing? Really? I just ran around and tried this on 6 or 7 boxes in the lab running various versions of 3.1.x and 4.0.x and it works fine on all of them... if _nothing_ at all is happening you have a major problem that I've never seen before.

It should come up with the wizard and let you hit "next" - it should do that on all 3.1.x versions and later. I'm running this from the command line but it shouldn't really make a difference if you're doing it via the "run" dialog or not. If you run it from the command line, however, if an error is kicking out you'll be able to see it whereas from the run menu you wont.

never mind my mistake, it worked great, let's just say user error

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: