cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unaddressed messages list - What's is the recipient?

jefforsi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

All day I receive one or more voice-mail in my mailbox because I'm a member of "Unaddressed Messages" Public Distribution List...

so my questions are:

1. When a message is sent to this list? When the recipient's mailbox is full?

2. When a message is sent to this list, are there a way to know what's is the recipiento to that message that have failed?

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Any time a message can't be delivered to a recipient's inbox when an unidentified (i.e. non subscriber) caller leaves a message, it will eventually end up in the unaddressed messages public distribution list. This can be due to a full mailbox or a down Exchange server after too many delivery attempts or the like.

If a subscriber leaves another subscriber a message that can't be delivered, it's simply bounced back to the subscriber that sent the message. In the case of an unidentified (i.e. outside) caller we have to fall back on this mechanism to make sure the message is not lost.

The message forwarded to you will actually be a forwarded email which can be opened from Outlook that will contain the original target user and message so you can forward it to the right person once the original problem is corrected.

Also, Unity is capable of being configured to not take messages from unidentified callers for subscribers that have mailboxes that are full - if this is what's causing your deliveries you may want to look at this - you didn't indicate which version of Unity you're using so I'm not sure if you have a version that supports this or not.

My version is 3.1(5).

When a message cannot be delivered, this message is sent to me with the following data:

Sender: Unity Messasing System

Recipient: Unaddressed Messages

Subject: Message from xxxxxx (phone number)

Attachment: VoiceMail.wav

So, this message does not have the original target user... how I will know the original target user?

If you are getting messages like that then you must have a call handler setup to send messages directly to the unaddressed messages DL - messages forwarded for delivery reasons will be NDRs which are an embedded email.

Make sure the operator call handler or the example interview handler or something like that doesn't have their message recipient setup as the unaddressed messages DL - that sounds like the case here.

I did some changes on the Unity configuration... I will analyse for some days to verify if this problem was solved. Thanks while.

Jefferson