Views
Helpful
Replies

Unicast To Multicast

ShailendraK
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a situation where a CCM Cluster is providing MOH. I have a multicast stream of the MOH travelling over the WAN. I would like to know if I can have a Unicast stream over the WAN and the end Router convert it to Multicast and play it to the users?

I have browsed the internet and Cisco Site but could not find information.

Thank you in advance.

3 Replies 3

Tim Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Do you have an SRST router at the remote WAN site?

You can block multicast MOH from the CCM on the WAN.

And you can multicast a stream locally from the flash memory of the SRST router.

Or alternatively, you can even use an E&M feed and stream something live into it.

Not sure what CCM version you are using.. but have a look here..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/5x/50moh.html

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the help. My CCM version is 4.(3) and this has the option of sending unicast or multicast sereams I have SRST on the reomte router. This document explains the different types combination of Unicasts and Multicasts.

My curiosity still remains if a Unicast stream can be converted to a Multicast stream at the remote location? Is this configuration possible in a router?

Thanks again for answering..

Hi,

That doc explains how to use a branch router as a source for the multicast MOH. This would cut out the need to send any MOH across the WAN.

Have a look at this part..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/5x/50moh.html#wp1043883

I dont know if there is any easy way to convert unicast to multicast on a Cisco router. It's more a routing / switching question.

The only reason I could see why you wouldnt want to use the MOH from the branch router, is that you have a lot of sites, and you change the MOH frequently. Or you want to play lots of different MOH to different groups of phones.

In this case.. why cant you use Multicast over the WAN? Maybe you can tunnel the multicast?

Cheers,

Tim

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: