Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unified Messaging Users vs Voicemail only users

What are the restrictions of a voicemail only user vs a unified messaging user.

4 REPLIES

Re: Unified Messaging Users vs Voicemail only users

It's a licensing issue. Voice mail only isn't licensed for ViewMail and TTS. I'm not sure what the word is on the Active Assistant. Unified Messaging gets the whole deal. It's also intended to be installed in a pre-existing Active Directory. Voice mail only installs usually find themselves in a forest/domain of their own.

adam

Cisco Employee

Another point that was made clear to me just last week (i.e. I got chewed on for getting this distinction wrong with a customer):

Voice mail only users can ONLY get at their voice mail from over the phone or via the VMI web interface (which is a licensed feature). They cannot use any desktop client to get at their messages. If folks are using Outlook or whatever to get at their inbox with voice mail in it, they need to spring for UM licenses.

The distinction is fine but it's definite. You can home voice mail only user's mail account on other external Exchange servers but once you're using a desktop client other than VMI to get at your voice mail, you're in UM licensing territory.

Question, can VMI be used for a lotus notes e-mail system? We just sold a "Unitfied Messageing" solution to a customer that is using Lotus notes, which I know will be supported in ver. 4.0., but you mention VMI will work with Exchange, but others will think it will work with Lotus notes.

Cisco Employee

The VMI functionality is being absorbed into the new Personal Communications Assistant in Unity 4.0 - this will include features currently found in VMI (which is call Unity Inbox in PCA) as well today's AA features and some more functionality as well.

The Unity Inbox portion of PCA will not be supported with Domino in the 4.0 release. You can only get at your inbox via the web interface with Exchange as your back end - this has a lot to do with licensing from Microsoft and IBM and little to do with the work on our end to support it. I can't say if the Unity inbox will ever work as a way to get your voice mail messages at the desktop with Domino as your back end at this point...

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content