cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unified Messaging

raw101
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a problem with Unified messaging. Currently I have Messaging on the customers domain and are using their Exchange server for storage. The problem is that messages are not showing up for up to 30 min after being left. Sometimes the messages shows up in their mailbox, but not retrivable by the phone yet. The current setup is that the messaging server is on one network range and the exhange is on an other. I don't know if this would cause any problems, but thought i was disclose it. Any help would be greatly appricated.<br><br>

3 Replies 3

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

What version of Unity and what version of Exchange? Did this ever work correctly? Is Exchange installed on the Unity server also and if so is Unity pointing at that local Exchange server? Is the message delay only for external callers or internal (other Unity subscribers) callers or is it both? During the delay do all subscriber experience it or is a just a few subscribers? If it is just a few is it always the same few? Can the subscriber sign in to the mailbox OK or are they told by Unity that the Exchange server is down? Are you getting any errors in the event log?

All messages from non-Unity subscribers (outside callers) will pass through the UMR before they are delivered to Exchange. You want to check in that folder to see if messages are stacking up during the delay. It is located at \commserver\UnityMTA. From the UMR, Unity will create message in the out box of the Unity_Servername mailbox via MAPI which Exchange immediately send to the addressed party.

If the messages have been clear from the UMR and submitted to the Unity_Servername mailbox Unity is out of the picture and there might be an issue with the customers Exchange server(s). If the Unity_Servername mailbox is on a different Exchange server from the customers Exchange server they may have an issue between the two or more Exchange servers that needs to be resolved.

Messages from other Unity subscribers don't go through the UMR. Unity creates a message on behalf of the subscriber in the out box of their Exchange mailbox via MAPI which Exchange immediately sends to the addressed party.

If Unity can’t connect to an Exchange server it will log AvExchangeMonitor_MC warning messages to the event log. Messages are logged when Unity loses access and then again when Unity regains it.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Diagnostic Engineer
Voice Network Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems, Inc.

We are currently running 3.1.4 and Exchange 2000. This never sent the messages out correctly. The exchange server is installed on a seperate box with the same domain as unity. The message delay is for both internal and external. It started with just a few but has grown (i.e. start with 2 and now at 7). The users can log in to unity fine with no errors on the server. I check teh UMR on the exchange server and there was no problems. I also did not see any erros about AVexhangeMonitor_MC on the unity server. Any other thing to check?

Thanks for the help so far.

Robert Wykoff

the other possibility that comes to mind is MTA issues... RPC bind/bind back issues, DNS problems and the like can cause this type of behavior. Are there any RPC or MTA type errors in the event log of the Exchange 2000 server we're connected to? It sounds like Unity is sending the messages off to Exchange properly (or you'd see them in the UnityMTA directory waiting for delivery)... if that's the case the delays must be happening further down stream from us in Exchange.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: