cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 2.4.6/ External Exchange 5.5

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Is it possible to run two Unity 2.4.6 servers off of one external Exchange 5.5 Server?<br>Reason for asking....This customer has an existing centralized CCM and Unity application. They are a W2K shop but have an Exchange 5.5 server for the messaging store because they are @ Unity 2.4.6 . The Unity Server was never designed to the customer's requirements and needs to be redesigned. He has a spare Unity Server that could be configured with the new design and pointed to CCM at cutover. The issue as I see it is that the 2.x server needs to talk to the external Exchange 5.5 Server during the design process. That means the production server and the new server would be pointed to the External 5.5 server at the same time. <br><br>Is there a way to keep the production server on line and have the new server configured? Or am I going to have to just redesign the production server while on-line? <br><br>

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

I hope I'm understanding what you're asking correctly.

It is possible to have more than one Unity in the same Exchange site. However, an Exchange account can only belong to one Unity server at a time.

You could install the new Unity into the Exchange site, but you would need to remove an account from the first Unity before it could be added to the new one. Are you planning to gradually cut over or migrate en masse?

There are also consequences to removing a Unity installation without first removing the accounts from Unity. This can cause your accounts to become stranded.

Scott Morgan
Cisco Systems TAC

Not applicable

I believe you understand perfectly. The cutover would be a flash cut. I do not see another way to do it in this environment.
And you confirmed that an Exchange account can belong to only one Unity.
The only way I can see this scenario mapping out is if there is something that can be done in Exchange that could hae two accounts utilize the same message store. That way I could build the new accounts in a differnet directory, and with a different naming convention, and delete the old accounts as needed. I do know if this is a possibility and it would probably have it's own set of complications. If not I see no other solution than to redesign the production Unity box.

Is that the way you see it?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: