cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 2.4 Build 2.4.6.102

mohamad.khan
Level 1
Level 1

We have had the system up and running for about two years now, Lately, however we have found that users are no longer in the unity system though they still have mail boxes in exchange. Not quite sure what is going on.

7 Replies 7

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well... not a whole heck of a lot to go on here so it's a little hard to speculate what's going on in your environment.

Unity's not just arbitarily deciding to dump users out on their own - we can be sure of that much. The one thing I'd check here is to make sure things like the "allow rich text" property isn't getting waxed by another process (or administrator) for such users - I've seen this before. This value is over loaded in Exchange to also indicate that there is MAPI login access to this account (which Unity needs). If the value gets cleared then Unity will assume the user is not a subscriber any longer.

It could also be another process stomping on one of the extended attributes we use such as 12 or 14 - I've seen that before as well. Same deal here - the location object Id of the user is stored in 14 for instance and without it we assume the user is not a subscriber in Unity and it wont show up in the SA.

I guess the thing to ask is what have you done in Exchange recently that would affect items such as the above?

The last thing I did was run the optimizer tool on Exchange. So far I have lost three users, one every few days.

Can any of those three users be imported into Unity again via the SA? If they don't show up for importing then make sure to check the Allow Rich Text flag - that'd be my hot theory. If you can import them again OK then something else is afoot here.

Are these users being hidden in the directory (i.e. hiding them from the outlook address book) or the like by any chance?

I can add the user back in using SA, and I try log in I get the message "this system is temporarily unable to complete your call. I did notice that under the messages tab in SA the mailbox size is 0 kb, but in exchange he has a few messages. Also under the mwi details under the Messages Tab. Exchange is not our primary email system so the user do not log onto the exchange server.

after 15 minutes or so, does the user then "vanish" again? If so, it's gotta be the allow rich text flag - I'll keep banging on that so you'll save yourself some time just checking it now ;->

I am sorry, I forgot to mention that I checked the rich text flag it is set for plain text

Could be your problem - just to be sure, open the Exchange 5.5 administration tool in raw mode (use the "-r" command line option). Go to one of these guys and hit shift and enter and the same time, all their attributes will be visible in the resulting dialog. "Existing" should be selected by default in the lower left, just look for "Allow Rich Text" in the Object Attributes window and click on it - if it's set to "1" Unity will be happy with the user, if it's set to "0" we wont be able to log into their mailbox and they will be dropped as a subscriber.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: