Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unity 2.4 to 3.0 with Exchange 5.5

I will be upgrading from Unity 2.4.6 to 3.0<br><br>My current Unity 2.4.6 box is box #3 of a three box Exchange Site. Let's assume that my two Exchange boxes that all the user's accounts home to are boxes #1 and #2 (ie, the REAL exchange boxes). Box #3 currently running a full version of Exchange 5.5 as needed by 2.4, but no users or mail is stored on this box. <br><br>I will be setting up a new box to hold my Unity 3.0 and I prefer to do an "exchange-less" installation, just using the connector. The installation instructions do not mention whether or not I should uninstall and remove the Exchange that is on my Unity box and disassociate it from the Exchange Site. I'm assuming that I want to do this. I'm also assuming that I should do this AFTER I uninstall Unity 2.4 from box #3. <br><br>Outside of the default Unity accounts "example administrator", etc. there are no Exchange accounts on Exchange box #3. <br><br>When I import Unity 2.4 settings into Unity 3.0, where will the default accounts (example administrator) be installed to?<br><br><br><br>

1 REPLY
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Unity 2.4 to 3.0 with Exchange 5.5

Yes, wait until AFTER you uninstall the 2.4 box before removing the Exchange server from the site and retiring it… if you do this first, you’ll cause yourself all kinds of grief. Do the export of 2.4 data, then uninstall 2.4, then remove the Exchange server from the site and then remove the box.

The accounts created by setup are put in a container that you select when you run the step 2 setup (i.e. the part where you tell us what Exchange server to point at). By default this would be in the recipients container but you should be able to move this anywhere you need to. This is also where new accounts will be created if you add new users via the SA (i.e. as opposed to creating them in Exchange and importing them into Unity).

In Exchange 5.5, these default account (Example Subscriber, Example Administrator) don’t get NT accounts associated with them at all, they are only Exchange accounts so the security issues should be virtually nonexistent. You can certain bind NT accounts to them if you like, but most folks don’t do that unless they get in a pinch.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content