Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Unity 3.0(1) CCM 3.1 & Exchange 5.5 Integration

I need some advice on integrating Unity 3 for both voicemail and Unified in an existing Exchange 5.5 environment. The client is currently running an exchange cluster on SP3. I understand that clustering is not supported, but they are prepared to de-cluster Exchange for Unified functionality (Exchange 2000 upgrade isn't an option at the moment). <br>I was considering using 1 Unity box with Exch 5.5 on it just for voicemail, and using the other Unity box for Unified. Someone has recommended Exch 2000 on the Unity boxes for voicemail, but that'll mean installing AD which the cust isn't too keen on. <br>I guess my main issue is with Unified. We only have a 720 user licence for voicemail, but 800 odd users so I was hoping to use the Unified box for 100 odd voicemail users. This sounds easier said than done. Even if I just have voicemail on the other box, what are the issues with upgrading that to Unified later on?<br><br>Obviously the ideal situation would be to upgrade the Exchange cluster to 2000, but as I say this isn't an the option and we must do whatever it takes to get Unified messaging supported.<br>Any advise on de-clustering exchange, recommendations on the best practices for joining Unity to the existing site?, or setting up a new site? and doing dir syn & a site connector.<br><br>

3 REPLIES

Re: Unity 3.0(1) CCM 3.1 & Exchange 5.5 Integration

So let me get this straight -
1) you have two Unity licenses and two Unity systems. One is a Voice Mail Only and the other is supposed to be Unified messageing.
2) The Voice Mail only people are around 800. But you have a license for only 720. How many licenses do you have on the Unified messaging system.
3) Your client has an Exchange 5.5 clustered environment.

Let me know if I got something wrong in there.
Here are some options -
1) The Voice Mail Only system can be separate from the whole clustered environment for Exchange 5.5. It can live like an independent system with its own exchange and Unity. It does not even have to connect to the other exchange ORG. If it does connect to the ORG, you can have issues with folks having multiple names in the address list etc. There are a few posts on that in the forum.
When you get ready to upgrade that to Unified messaging, you will need to scrap the system and reinstall.
You can buy more licenses from Cisco for the VoiceMailOnly system and have all the people on the same machine.
2) I do not know what you are doing with the Unified messaging system. If you are going to attach it to the Exchange 5.5 cluster, it will be an unsupported configurations. We support connecting to an Exchange 2K cluster in Unity 3.0(1) and later.

Anil Verma
Cisco Systems
anilve@cisco.com

Hi Anil.

We have a 720 user licence for Unified aswell. We've de-clustered Exchange so integrating Unified should be ok now. As for Unified, we may have voicemail only users that are on the Unified system. If this is the case if their mailboxes are homed on another exchange server (not the Unified server) will this prevent messages appearing in their inbox?

There is really not much difference between a Voice Mail only or a Unified Messaging susbscriber. They are both Exchange MailUsers and will have mailboxes on Exchange and will show up in the address book.
If the folks that you are creating for Voice Mail only, already have e-mail on Exchange, you will need to be careful as you cannot have the same alias twice in a Exchange 5.5 site. You will need to create them maybe a prefix. If you do not want the Voice Mail only folks to show up on the Exchange address book, then you will have to manually go and hide them. There are posts about this procedure and I believe there is information on this on the CCO support page too.

Anil Verma
Cisco Systems
anilve@cisco.com

Views
Helpful
Replies