Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cisco Employee

Unity 3.0(2), NT4.0 w/ Exchange 5.5, and CM 3.x

After reading the posts about Unity with CallManager and Exchange 5.5 I wanted to make sure that what I have suggested to a customer is correct and if there are any statements that are incorrect. <br>This is the scenario:<br>(1) They are running CM 3.0(11) and have 2 exchange servers running NT4.0 Exchange 5.5 with SP4. (I am not sure if the Exchange servers are clustered or not. Can they be clustered or not? And why<br>(2) From what the TSP release notes say for TSP 3.0(3) they could run CM3.0(11) with Unity 3.0(2) together with TSP 3.0(3)…is this right? (I am going to move them to CM3.1.1 or CM3.1.2c, but I wanted to be clear on the CM3.0(11) integration just in case they don’t want to move to CM3.1.1 right now.) <br>(3) They don’t have to put another exchange server on the Unity box but they need to put the Exchange Administrator software part on the Unity server. And the Unity Server must be a member server. But if I wanted to put Exchange on the Unity box I would have to go with Exchange 5.5 because 2000 deals with AD. What would be the benefit of putting Exchange on box or off box?<br>(4) Since they have less than 16 ports it is recommended to install MSDE 2000 instead of SQL 2000. If they want to move to more ports in the future is it better to install the SQL 2000 over the MSDE 2000 or is there an easy upgrade later on?<br>(5) If there are any other caveats that I should be aware of besides the ones in the release notes, that would be helpful to know.<br><br>Thanks for all the help and answers to my questions…<br><br><br>

3 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Unity 3.0(2), NT4.0 w/ Exchange 5.5, and CM 3.x

(1) Exchange 5.5 clusters are not supported because they have never been tested.
(2) Yes.
(3) If you are installing Unity in a UM environment do not put AD or Exchange on the box. People continue to do this I don't understand why. Maybe it gives them that warm fuzzy feeling. In reality all it adds is memory use and CPU cycles.
(4) When they buy Unity from us with 16 ports or less they only get a license for MSDE. If they put SQL2000 on the box the folks at MS will not be happy.
(5) Nope.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Cisco Employee

Thanks Keith...
I will get back to you if I run into any snags...ya I think that they like the warm fuzzy feeling :)
Have a good one

Gold

Please try not to give in to the warm fuzzy. Seriously, because it just adds more components to break.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content