Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unity 3.02/Active Directory

Situation: a customer with OU's separating users by department/classification and Group Policy Objects (GPO's) associated with these OU's...<br><br>I'm reading up on where Unity stores it's user/mailbox accounts. If a security account already exists for a user in AD, is there any way we can tie their mailbox into this account instead of creating duplicate accounts?<br><br>My overall concern is that if Unity requires a custom OU, I won't be able to manage a single user account/user via GPO's. On the other hand if I need two accounts I'm concerned that a user will need to use a Unity username/password to get to their Unity Mailbox from Outlook.<br><br>Any clarification would be appreciated!<br><br>

1 REPLY
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Unity 3.02/Active Directory

Hey Josh

First, there’s no need here to create separate accounts… Unity only stores a few bits of information on the subscriber account in AD, the rest is stored in a local SQL database and linked to the subscriber account based its DN. Here’s a link that runs down the extensions we apply to the AD schema to accomplish this:

http://avforums.isomedia.com/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=unityent&Number=3942&Search=true&Forum=unityent&Words=catalog&Match=Entire Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=3940

Organizational Units don’t mean anything to Unity here and we certainly don’t require you jump through any hoops creating a special one for us… that’d be the kiss of death for such a product. As long as we can see these guys in the directory (i.e. they’re in the same domain as we are… technically even if they aren’t although we really don’t recommend spanning domains with one Unity server) we’re fine here.

You can bind to existing AD users that are Exchange enabled no problem… this is, in fact, the usual mechanism for adding subscribers to Unity in a unified messaging environment. You can do this via the SA one at a time or in bulk using the Import tool found in the Unity program group.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content