Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Unity 3.1(3) and VM identifiers

I have a customer that has Unity 3.1(3) and Exchange 5.5; I would like to be able to take a .wav file and have it show up in the exchange mailbox as a Unity voicemail but I can't figure it out. I know it has something to do with the extended headers but can't find the docs on cco. TAC case hasn't been much of a success either. Ideas?

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Unity 3.1(3) and VM identifiers

This is actually _much_ more complicated than just tagging some properties and going home - You have to tangle with MAPI pretty extensively and make sure the sender in a subscriber (if not force it to be the unity messaging systme account) etc... this request has come up a few times and when I get some time I'll wrestle through an example of how to do this using the CDO libraries but just to be clear this isn't a supported function so your TAC case isn't going to get anywhere.

I'm about 8 projects deep right now but when I can come up for air I'll burn a few days and see if I can get such an example to work (originating a message in Exchange with all the right stuff on it is much easier than taking a standing message with a WAV file and conveting it to a voice mail message). I'll post it on www.CiscoUnityTools.com along with the other code samples out there.

Thanks for the quick reply; you mention it IS possible to originate the message in exchange; I'm not opposed to doing that, programmatically of course. In that case would it be supported by TAC?

Cisco Employee

I'm afraid TAC (or the BU for that matter) wont support sites generating their own voice mail external to Unity and expecting Unity to handle it - regardless of if you're converting a standing email with WAV attachment or generating a new one from scratch.

I understand this is annoying - and you're not the only site that's wanted to do this. Folks wanting to interoperate with other messaging systems want to do this and it seems like a reasonable request but you'll be Lewis and Clarking it I'm afraid.

As I said I'll try to carve off some time to show how to fiddlw in MAPI land to convert a message - I can't tell you all the things you need to do with it right off hand because I don't know myself - I'm going to have to work out all the details. Hopefull I can get to that before the 4.0(3) development cycle completes but I can't promise that.

Again, thanks for the quick response and I'll be patient and wait to see; BTW - you hit the nail on the head - they are using a different system for ACD queueing and would like those VM's to show up as Unity VM and it does seem like there should be an easy way to do it. I'll wait for your reply. Thanks again!

Views
Helpful
Replies