Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unity 3.1.3 Transcoding with Access Gateway Module

I have Unity 3.1.3 in a central site, and 3.1.3 in a remote site. I am running G.729 between the sites, and G.711 within the sites. I am using a VG200 w/ DSP Farm at the remote site and a 4006 Access Gateway Module in the central site for transcoding and conferencing.

When I call the central site and do a directory lookup the quality is heavily degraded with static when playing the system prompts surrounding the recorded names. (When I call the remote site using the VG200 DSP Farm this static doesn't occur.)

When running either G.729 or G.711 direct to Unity without transcoding, the static doesn't occur.

While I know G.729 is recommended for remote sites due to bandwidth I don't see any "recommended practices" for Unity when transcoding resources are available. Should I run G.729 to Unity or should I use transcoding resources to convert the G.729 (for less bandwidth over the WAN) to G.711 (for higher audio quality)? Will I actually get lower quality by pushing the stream through a transcoder? Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY
Gold

Re: Unity 3.1.3 Transcoding with Access Gateway Module

Just so you know, CallManager doesn't account of bandwidth correctly when transcoding is used in conjunction with locations based dialing. Calls will always been deducted at 80k.

In general, it is favorable to have Unity do as little transcoding as possible. Transcoding puts extra load on the CPU. So if you are going to have Unity record in g.729 you should have all the calls come in as g.729 as well. Vice versa with g.711. If hardware transcoders are available and you are not using locations based dialing or can live with the limitations, put them to work.

Keith

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content