cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 3.1.5 and Avaya Definity GX via PBXLink (analog MWI)

vwong
Level 1
Level 1

seeking help with integrating Avaya with Unity, single integration, VMO only. No matter what I do, Unity does not make any attempt to dial-out MWI indicators (via statusmonitor). So phones never have their message waiting indicator lights lit. Everything else works perfectly.

I already verified the configuration with cisco (D693222) and they are currently escalating it to the developers.

I have the following configuration

- Unity 3.1.5

- Exchange 2000 on same box

- PBXLink

- 2 Dialogic 120 cards (24 port total)

- serial (analog MWI) integration

- last 4 ports set for MWI only

I already verified the following

- put a phone on the actual line to make the outbound call to manually toggle the lights and it works fine

- i only have 3 test phones so capacity is not an issue.

Ideas? thanks.

15 Replies 15

j.house
Level 4
Level 4

I don't believe unity will display outgoing MWI via the Status monitor (only for this type of integration of course). I have never seen it do this with an analog/PBXlink integration. Set your PBXlink to monitor the digital port that is set up for MWI, you should see the attempts flash on the PBXlink screen. If you connect to the PBXlink via Hyperterm you can log these MWI messages. Also launch the Integration monitor (from the Tools depot), this will also show the MWI on/off messages going out.

Regards,

Jeff

I turned on integration monitor as well as call viewer and did not see an attempts to toggle the lamp on and off.

Also, I have switch PBX software versionm set to all(analog MWI), so the dialout should be sent from ports 21-24 (which i designated as dial-out MWI only). It shouldn't be sent via the serial link unless I misconfigured the unity box.

Any ideas? thanks.

You might want to verify that Unity is getting Exchange MAPI notifications of new, deleted or read messages. Those notifications are the catalyst for MWI. If you set the ExchangeMonitor MAPI notification traces, you would expect to see these notification traces (as long as they are indeed coming from Exchange) showing up in the AvMsgStoreMonitor diagnotic files.

What account is the AvMsgStoreMonitor running as? The same as the AvCsMgr? Is it even running? Did the MWIs ever work?

This is a new install. It never worked. I'm using the same account for everything. Last Traces show that notification does works so it knows it needs to toggle the MWI.

12:21:40:437 (AvNotifier_MC,1146,Notifier,21) [Thread 0x0000115C] NotifyQ popped eNOTIFYQ_ACTION_MSG_READ [3], mailbox='cn=t8013 cn=Recipients ou=First Administrative Group o=NACCHQ', arg1=2, arg2=3, arg3=1, varMessageData= (VT_EMPTY).

12:21:40:438 (AvNotifier_MC,1160,Notifier,24) [Thread 0x0000115C] test 8013 has 0 messages of type Voice All

And then see the trace put in a request to turn the light off. But it fails.

12:21:42:001 (AvNotifier_MC,1135,Notifier,20) [Thread 0x00000F5C] Request for resource 109314072 (caps=4 switch=0 cluster=0) failed for Task test 8013 MWI-1

Oh also...

I do see it successfully toggle the light on even though it doesn't show in status monitor or integration monitor. But when it tries to distinguish the light (i listen to and delete the message), it fails. (see clips from log in previous post)

thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas.

Interesting. Can you check to see if the switch file that you are using has "PortMemory" turned on? Can you also provide how the port capability is set up for each port? For that example user you had provided, can you post what is set here...

In DohPropTest, load the mailusers collection and select that mail user. Then select AVP_NOTIFICATION_MWI and then select MWI-1. From there select AVP_MWI_PORT_NUMBER.

I just checked the "edit switch" and yes, the port memory box is checked. The Port Number is 24 under DohPropTest.

I tried using "statusmonitor" to manually toggle the MWI. And that was successful. Even though no DialOut MWI was displayed on the monitors on port 21-24. The message indicator for that phone was successfuly toggled.

For some reason I want to believe that this is "PortMemory" related. The whole reason why this "PortMemory" nonsense exists is because for the longest time, the port that turned an MWI on on the AT&T/Lucent/Avaya switch had to be the same port that turned it off. With the advent of "Mode-codes" on the Avaya switch, we've discovered this limitation is no longer there if the "MWI ports" that Unity is using off the PBX are programmed into the PBX as "VMI" ports.

Anyway, I digress. What are the current capabilities of Unity port 24? If MWI is not there, I'd expect this to happen.

If the Avaya PBX is "mode-code" enabled, there's a way to get rid of the whole "PortMemory" business.

Port 21-24 are set for only MWI.

The Avaya PBX is running version 6. According to docs i found on the net, you need v6.3 of the software to run mode-code. The PBX administrator couldn't find the option. I'll verify again.

I know Michael is looking at the traces for the case. When viewing the MWI port object, it is correctly set to 24.

What is mode code? If it was available, would i need to reconfigure the Unity? Or is it just an option on the Avaya end that removes the requirement that the same port must be used for toggle the MWI. Or at least as it appears to the Unity.

Mode-code is integration functionality on the Definity. It allows for in-band DMTF integration for call information. Along with that, it also eliminates the need for the MWI port requirement. As far as I know, it's only available on version 7 and up on the PBX.

You can verify its presence on the PBX from checking the system options.

Before going down the whole mode-code road, it'd be wise to figure out exavtly why this is failing. What about those port caps?

Thanks for your help. dialout. A patch was written by your group last week WEdnesday and I installed it this past Friday. (CAse D693222)

The dialout MWI is working now. I can see it in status monitor. And I can see the message indicator light go out perfectly.

Looking for some information.I noticed on the Cisco forum that you have had problems with the MWI functions between Unity and Avaya Definity PABX.

I have just installed Unity 4 unified messaging working to Call Manager 3.3 and everthing works O.K.

Working to Definity via the Dialogic all looked O.K. except we cannot get the message light on the phone to go out.

I noticed from your tac case of Mar 203 D963222 your problem was resolved with a patch.

Could you advise what this patch is, or is it configurable option on Unity/Avaya.

Hope you can help.

You might have run into CSCdx12829.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: