cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 3.1 Failover

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I am trying to figure out the proper hardware/software configuration to purchase two Unity 3.1 servers and use them in failover mode and both Presales and TAC are currently unsure of the proper configuration.<br><br>For the first server I need the following:<br>UNITY-3.1, Unity 3.1<br>UNITY-IP, Unity for CallManager, IP Only Integrations<br>UNITY-PWR-US, Power Cord for US<br>UNITY-SVR-7825, MCS-7825 (W2K included)<br>UNITYU31-100USR8, Unity Unified Messaging, 100 users (includes 8 sessions)<br><br>The question is what do I need for the second server? Do I buy all of the above items - most notably do I have to buy the 100 user 8 session software for the backup server or since it is a backup does the software license for the first server cover it?<br><br>Using configurator to spec the failover option list the following components, but I am not sure what I need.<br><br>UNITYUM-FOVR-USR, Per user for Unified Messaging Failover<br>UNITY-FOVRSER4-32, Cisco Unity Data Store 4 -32 ports - Per Processor<br><br>Any help would be appreciated.<br><br>Dan<br><br>

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

I'm not sure on the part numbers (I'll bug the product folks on that) but the fail over box gets a special license on it's key that indicates it's a failover server but has all the licensing information the primary server does (i.e. ports, users, integration type etc...). This is much less expensive than buying a full license identical to the primary server. Unity will act in failover mode with this license and will run primary (i.e. if the first server goes down) for a set period of time. I believe this is 30 days, but I'll have to check on that to be sure. After that period expires and you haven't got your primary back up and flying, it'll shut down. The idea is we don't want folks getting cheap fail over licenses and then running with them as their production systems.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

checked with the engineers on this and the fail over server will run for 60 days if the primary goes off line... after 60 days it'll shut itself down (plenty of whining in the event log prior to that). If you just install a Unity server as a failover box but don't hook it up to a licensed primary Unity server (as it should be configured) it'll run for 4 hours and bail out. Just want to be sure folks are using this as a fail over server and not trying to get cute using it as their primary production server since the failover license is considerably less expensive.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: