Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unity 3.12 fails frequently

I have a Unity 3.12 system running on a Win2k server w/ Exchange 2k on the box as well. AD is running on another server. Over the last few weeks Unity stops working and delivers a message that the system is unavailable or something to that affect.

All the services are running, however, when I right click on the Unity icon in the applet tray it does no respond.

The only thing I have found that will restart the system is rebooting he box. I am wondering if the box has a memory leak. Has anyone else experienced anything similiar? Any resolution.

I have a couple of other sites running 2.46 w/o this problem and at least one other 3.1 system as well.

Thanks,

Israel Lang

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Unity 3.12 fails frequently

Well, there's a lot of a reasons a box may become unresponsive - memory leaks are one of them. There have been a number of them fixed over recent releases but they were never so bad as to tak boxes down that quickly - what frequency is your box getting into this state? When you call in and get the failsafe conversation (the "I'm sorry, I can't talk to you now..." prompt) it'll log one or more errors in the application event log. Taking a look at those might give a clue here. Also, when the box is in this state, reporting the memory usage based on each service in the service control manager would be helpful.

It seems to happen every two weeks or so. I have noticed that if I reboot every week or so it doesn't happen. I am just concerned as I have not experienced this as frequently as I have w/ this particular install.

I will get the info you mentioned and post it.

Israel

Gold

You might try upgrading to 3.1(4). You if check the release notes out you will see several defects resolved where Unity stops responding.

Keith

Yes, keith is right on here. 3.1.2 had a few interesting problems that bit the TAC hard. Check out these links for more information:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/AVVID/unity_system_crash.html

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/AVVID/unity_port_lockups.html

Upgrading to 3.1.4 would be good, but watch for 3.1.5 coming out sometime next week. The expectation is that it's going to be rock solid as it is only bug fixes.

adam

Cisco Employee

3.1(5) will be available for ordering September 6th.

yes, Adam is right... 3.1(5) is going to be a nice release. Bunch of bug fixes and stability improvements that will be a real nice pick up. In particular the MWI process is pulled out into it's own process which can be boucned without having to restart Unity which makes troubleshooting problems with montioring mailbox states much, much nicer. The architecture document that will be available on AnswerMonkey.net this weekend covers much of the layout for 3.1(5) which includes the new message store monitor service among other things...

Views
Helpful
Replies