Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Unity 3.15 may have caused exchange to lock up

Yesterday, one of our exchange server that unity uses to connect, stopped processing outlook request twice.

The apps event log is filled with the following warnings right before exchange stopped responding. There is a lot of event 1016 (successful logon), followed suddenly by a lot of event 1023 (failed logon)

We think that unity overloaded exchange with a sudden spike in logon request.

The workload queue for exchange in perfmon was stucked at 100% when the system stopped responding.

What can cause this sudden spike in logon attempt request?

Thanks.

Event ID 1016:

NT User EPIPHANY\EXCHSRVR logged on to Yelena Volchenok mailbox, and is not the primary Windows NT account on this mailbox.

Event ID 1023:

EPIPHANY\EXCHSRVR was validated as /o=Epiphany/ou=EPIPHANY/cn=Recipients/cn=Unity_SMTO-UNITYVM-02 but was unable to log on to /o=Epiphany/ou=EPIPHANY/cn=Recipients/cn=Antelope-travel.

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
3 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Unity 3.15 may have caused exchange to lock up

It's not very likely that Unity caused your Exchange problems. I'm not saying that it's impossible, just that I have never seen a case where it has.

Every time Unity starts it has to logon to each mailbox. If you can reproduce the lock by restarting Unity then I would be concerned. If you can't, you might want to look at other possible factors outside of Unity.

What did you do to make Exchange start responding again? What do you see in the Unity application log around the same time?

Thanks,

Keith

Make sense, Exchange was rebooted so unity had to log back into those mailobxes. Those warnings are right after the reboot, not before. I'm going to kick our exchange admin butt for misleading me and then myself for not double checking the info ;-)

I was concerned to see so many logon failure. It's might be normal just after a reboot of exchange. Maybe the "logon service" start to respond then stop for a minute then start again.

Thanks

Gold

It is expected to see Event ID 1016 and Event ID 1023 when Unity accesses a mailbox on a remote Exchange server. Even though it says Unity didn't get access it really did. It's basically the same as this article which Microsoft claims is a defect in Exchange:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];237481

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.