cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 3.x on tree in forest

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

~hi,<br><br>We are wanting to install Unity 3.x on x2k on a tree in a forest, but not in the entire forest. I understand that the schema changes need to be replicated, and so that is my first question - how do I lay hands on the .ldf files (avdirmonex2k.ldf and voicegateway.ldf) without having the disc? We have a rep, but they are not exactly fast responders.<br><br>I need the info so that I can present it to the powers that be so that they can approve the schema changes.<br><br>Also, the release notes state that the AvDSAD service needs to be a member of Enterprise Admins. Is this true, or can it be a member of the lowly Domain Admins in the tree? Also, the "Unity Account Requirements" state that it must have "Access to the administrator account on each domain or to the Enterprise Domain account". Is this the same as above, and does it only need access to the administrator account on the domains where Unity is actually running?<br><br>Thanks, we are trying to get all the grunt work out of the way so that we can move forward quickly. This forum has been fantastic!<br><br>m<br><br>

8 Replies 8

Not applicable

As for the schema changes, I posted a list of the specific extensions/additions made to the schema a little while alo. I can't post the LDIF files here but you can see the changes we make:

http://avforums.isomedia.com/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=unityent&Number=3942&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=schema&Match=Entire Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=50&Old=1year&Main=3940

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Another question -

According to the entry that you sent me to, these are replicated to the global catalog. Is this critical, since this will be used only in one domain? I would prefer NOT to have to replicate this information as it is unneccesary, and will only take up bandwidth.

thanks

m

There is no way to limit the changes in the schema to only a tree. It has to be applied on the whole forest. Yes it can take some time, but then it has to be done only once before installing Unity.
It is similar to running the forestprep step for Exchange 2K.
It will not consume bandwidth in the future as only the changed data gets replicated.

Anil Verma
Cisco Systems
anilve@cisco.com

Not applicable

Sorry, my question might have been confusing. I am aware that the schema changes are replicated throughout the forest. My question is whether the information is replicated to the Global Catalog, which is a subset of the forest's schema.

The Global Catalog information is only a subset, and is replicated between domains. If the all the schema modified information is replicated in the Global Catalog, that will increase bandwidth. If it is not, then it will not.

The Global Catalog is that subset that is utilized cross-forest (such as username/password to allow login at remote site). The whole purpose of utilizing only a subset is to minimize the bandwidth reqs for forests across WAN links. Some schema information is limited to domains, other is replicated to all domains via the Global Catalog.

So, what Unity 3.0, esp 3.0(2) information replicated via the Global Catalog, if any?

thanks, btw, for all this info. It is fantastic to have a place to get it!

Not applicable

The schema extension for Unity 3.0 populates new attributes to the User, Contact and Group objects in Active Directory and also populates a new object called the Unity Location Object. Common information from each of these objects are replicated to any GC and Unity uses that information to communicate with other Unity servers in an enterprise.

Note though, we are very sensitive to the whole issue of extending the schema and therefore are doing everything we can to make sure that it doesn't have to happen for each new version of Unity.

Not applicable

thanks, that helps a lot!

Any news on the user account necessary?

We are making changes and going to publish the required permissons with the release notes for Unity 3.0(2).

Anil Verma
Cisco Systems
anilve@cisco.com

Not applicable

The Enterprise Admin requirement will be dropped with the release of 3.0(2), which will be in a couple weeks. The requirements for Unity installation and operation have been made much more granular for this release, hopefully you can wait until then. Look at the release notes for this release when it's out and it should answer your account questions.