cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 3.x restrict external caller to regional extension on centralized box

ikobisher3
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to restrict an external user that dials to a branch/regional office to only get transferred to regional suscribers, not the whole directory? I know you can restrict the search with Directory Handlers on Unity 4.0, but this is more like restricting the call to get transferred to a different site than the one the external user is calling from. For example, an external user in Charlotte, NC gets the greeting from the Call Handler and dials a Raleigh known extension, and gets redirected to Raleigh. This is a single unity server 3.x centralized deployment.

Thanks

IK

6 Replies 6

oliviers
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What type of switch integration is this? I'm not sure how Unity would be able to differenitate between an "external" vs. "internal" caller.

Sorry about that. This is Unity-CM integration. External users is not necessarily an external suscriber, but a user that dials into the regional PSTN gateway, and receives a greeting from Unity to direct the call.

IK

From the call information layer (skinny),there's nothing in the protocol that specifies "origin". Because of that, Unity's TSP marks all calls as internal. Even despite that fact, there's no way to control caller input options within the same call handler based on the call's origin value. You'd probably have to scheme something that used more than one call handler: one for the "remote" regions and one for "local" regions. But once again, we're stuck with trying to determine who's external or internal.

Actually, that is what I have. A call handler for each region, that "0"s to the regional operator. So basically, any user from the PSTN can access the entire unity dialing domain, if they know the right extension ? Is there any alternatives in Unity 4.0?

By alternatives in 4.0, do you mean in regards to internal vs. external knowledge in the TSP? If so, no. The skinny protocol hasn't changed with the onset of Unity 4.0.

Ok, thanks for your support. I believe my only option is to create different directory handlers for different sites and hope that no external user dials the wrong extension.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: