Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Unity 4.0(2) service start issues

I'm having a problem with the primary unity server with some of the services not starting. In event viewer, System Logs:Service Control Manager reports event id 7009, Timeout (3000 milliseconds) waiting for the AvDSAD service to connect.

In the application log, the first error is reported by CiscoUnity_CsServices event id 1075, and the description is AvCsGateway: Failed to initialize LogMgr (error = 0x800040512)

Unity was installed and working fine for approx. 24 hours and the server had been bounced a few times with no problems. However, the next day, after bouncing the server, Unity failed to start. I've since installed the secondary (failover) server and Unity is running fine on that.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Unity 4.0(2) service start issues

Might be a reach, but can you run the Permissions Wizard on the Directory Service account again, and then try?

16 REPLIES
Community Member

The exact same problem is now affecting the failover server, the services seem to start whilst Unity is in the installation phase, but then once complete, the services fail to start.

Cisco Employee

It is possible you are running in to the following defect,

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCdz89697&Submit=Search

Community Member

It's unlikely as this was fixed in 3.1(2.12) and I'm running 4.0(2). I'll take a look anyway.

Thanks

Cisco Employee

So this is happening on a fresh install of the failover server too? During initial install, Unity's services are set to run as the Local System account, so maybe that is why Unity came up ok before the Service Configuration Wizard was ran, which set the services to start up with the Domain accounts you created and ran the Permissions Wizard on. Perhaps the password entered for the Service accounts is incorrect?

Community Member

Yes, both servers which were installed this week (Failover this morning). I was pretty sure that I'd bounced the primary a couple of times after I'd installed Unity and assumed everything was okay as Unity was running. It wasn't until I restarted the server after installing a KVM that I noticed the startup errors. The service accounts must be ok because the AvCsGateway service starts and that uses the UnityMsgStore account, also the AvUMRSyncSvr service starts okay (manually) and that also uses the UnityMsgStore account.

What I noticed was that something in group policy had changed which was restricting the "log on as a service" right. I advised the client last night and this was fixed this morning, when I look at the local security policy now, the rights look ok again, and I assumed once this was done, Unity would start OK.

Cisco Employee

How about the AvDSAD service, does it start?

Community Member

No, the services that start are AvCsGateway, AvDirChangeWriter, AvLic, AvMMProxySvr, AvSqlChangeWriter. AvUMRSyncSvr will start if I start it manually. The AvDSAD and AvDSGlobalCatalog are reported in event viewer as having a problem when the server boots, and I can't start them manually.

The servers are on a layer 3 switched network (different subnet) to the Exchange/Dc's and Gc's, but I can ping them all and resolve all names no problem with the longest rtt being 50ms. The server are on a 100MB FD link. The only thing that is nagging at me, is the servers are not registered in DDNS because they are on a different subnet and the DNS servers will not allow them to update. But, saying that, I've tried assigning one of them with the old IP address range and it makes no difference to the services starting. I can't think of what else could be causing the problem other than some GPO that is being downloaded or the build of the server which was done by the client.

Cisco Employee

Perhaps the service account password for the AvDSAD service and AvDSGlobalCatalog service was changed?

Community Member

I've reset the password for UnityDirSvc account to what is should be and it still doesn't work.

Cisco Employee

What error do you get in the application event log when you try to start the AvDSAD service?

Community Member

I get the following:

Source: CiscoUnity_DSAD

Event ID: 1037

Description: The AvDSAD service failed to initialize an instance of the log manager. Error: 0x80040512:

Really helpful message!

Cisco Employee

Might be a reach, but can you run the Permissions Wizard on the Directory Service account again, and then try?

Community Member

I'll give it a shot right now. I don't think you can run it on just the one account, but I can't see it being a problem. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the posts.

Community Member

I ran the permission wizard again which failed, mainly because the permissions already existed. I then tried setting some of the services that logged on with service accounts to log on with localsystem and managed to get most of the services started. I restarted the server and Unity started on the primary. I then changed the services back to log on with the service accounts and restarted, Unity started no problem, which is bizarre. I've since tried soing the same thing with the failover server without success. It's obviously account related, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the accounts I'm using!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content