I'm having a problem with the primary unity server with some of the services not starting. In event viewer, System Logs:Service Control Manager reports event id 7009, Timeout (3000 milliseconds) waiting for the AvDSAD service to connect.
In the application log, the first error is reported by CiscoUnity_CsServices event id 1075, and the description is AvCsGateway: Failed to initialize LogMgr (error = 0x800040512)
Unity was installed and working fine for approx. 24 hours and the server had been bounced a few times with no problems. However, the next day, after bouncing the server, Unity failed to start. I've since installed the secondary (failover) server and Unity is running fine on that.
If anyone has any ideas, it would be much appreciated.
Solved! Go to Solution.
The exact same problem is now affecting the failover server, the services seem to start whilst Unity is in the installation phase, but then once complete, the services fail to start.
It is possible you are running in to the following defect,
So this is happening on a fresh install of the failover server too? During initial install, Unity's services are set to run as the Local System account, so maybe that is why Unity came up ok before the Service Configuration Wizard was ran, which set the services to start up with the Domain accounts you created and ran the Permissions Wizard on. Perhaps the password entered for the Service accounts is incorrect?
Yes, both servers which were installed this week (Failover this morning). I was pretty sure that I'd bounced the primary a couple of times after I'd installed Unity and assumed everything was okay as Unity was running. It wasn't until I restarted the server after installing a KVM that I noticed the startup errors. The service accounts must be ok because the AvCsGateway service starts and that uses the UnityMsgStore account, also the AvUMRSyncSvr service starts okay (manually) and that also uses the UnityMsgStore account.
What I noticed was that something in group policy had changed which was restricting the "log on as a service" right. I advised the client last night and this was fixed this morning, when I look at the local security policy now, the rights look ok again, and I assumed once this was done, Unity would start OK.
No, the services that start are AvCsGateway, AvDirChangeWriter, AvLic, AvMMProxySvr, AvSqlChangeWriter. AvUMRSyncSvr will start if I start it manually. The AvDSAD and AvDSGlobalCatalog are reported in event viewer as having a problem when the server boots, and I can't start them manually.
The servers are on a layer 3 switched network (different subnet) to the Exchange/Dc's and Gc's, but I can ping them all and resolve all names no problem with the longest rtt being 50ms. The server are on a 100MB FD link. The only thing that is nagging at me, is the servers are not registered in DDNS because they are on a different subnet and the DNS servers will not allow them to update. But, saying that, I've tried assigning one of them with the old IP address range and it makes no difference to the services starting. I can't think of what else could be causing the problem other than some GPO that is being downloaded or the build of the server which was done by the client.
I get the following:
Event ID: 1037
Description: The AvDSAD service failed to initialize an instance of the log manager. Error: 0x80040512:
Really helpful message!
I'll give it a shot right now. I don't think you can run it on just the one account, but I can't see it being a problem. I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks for the posts.
I ran the permission wizard again which failed, mainly because the permissions already existed. I then tried setting some of the services that logged on with service accounts to log on with localsystem and managed to get most of the services started. I restarted the server and Unity started on the primary. I then changed the services back to log on with the service accounts and restarted, Unity started no problem, which is bizarre. I've since tried soing the same thing with the failover server without success. It's obviously account related, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the accounts I'm using!