Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unity 4.0.3

Can anyone tell me what their experiences are with version 4.0.3. How long did the upgrade take and any issues during the upgrade.

I am at 4.0.2 and due to some bugs I wish to go to 4.0.3 and just want to see how it is performing.

1 REPLY

Re: Unity 4.0.3

Hello -

ALthough my update may not help this specific post, I finally have some information to share on my experience upgrading Unity 4.0(2) to 4.0(3). The Unity server is in an isolated test lab environment, integrated with CallManager 3.3(3) and offbox Exchange 2000. For the most part, I referred to Cisco's document 4.0(3) Installation Guide with Microsoft Exchange, Chapter 11. The Unity server is a Compaq DL380G1 with two processors, demo key - so I only have two ports and two subscribers currently for testing. The primary reason for upgrading was to test the 4.0(3) permissions wizard and to get ciscopca screenshots copied over to my production network. We are preparing to upgrade our Unity 3.1(5) production server, Unity bridge server, and Internet Voice Connector in February 2004. Since the Unity Assistant customer interface has changed from the 3.1(5) ActiveAssistant, it is my intention to make this information available to our customers about two weeks prior to the upgrade. We maintain a Unity customer website that provides screenshots, instructions for how to enroll in voicemail, how to change alterate greetings, etc. I hope this will alleviate the need for retraining.

Prior to beginning the upgrade, I completed these steps:

1. Upgraded the schema for 4.0(3) which includes attributes added for the bridge. Approx. runtime - 5 mins.

2. Downloaded dbwalker 3.0.20 and ran on Unity server - recommended for cleanup prior to running DiRT backup.

3. Downloaded the lastest version of DiRT backup and restore.

4. Downloaded the Unity permissions wizard for 4.0(3). Ran permissions wizard, followed by Exchange Delegation Wizard (for setting permissions required by installation, directory services, and message store services accounts. Approx. runtime - 15 mins. Note: The Unity 4.0(3) permissions wizard is a slick tool!! It requires much less permissions that before and is less intrusive in an organization such as mine that has 9 unique domains and each domain has its own administrative group in Exchange. Running this version, I was able to specify ONLY those mailstores from which I would be importing subscribers.

5. Downloaded Unity installation and service pack CD images and made copies. I did not time this effort, but completed over the course of several days as a background task.

6. Ran DiRT backup. Approx. runtime - 2-3 minutes.

Upgrade Steps (within same test change window):

1. Ran the CUSPA. Although I thought I was pretty current on maintenance, it still upgraded/installed the following:

- microsoft.net framework 1.1

- IIS security patch

- MAPI version 6.0 SP2 (this is on Unity service pack Disk2)

Approx. runtime - 30 mins.

2. Referring to page 11-8 (Upgrading and configuring Cisco Unity software):

- Approx. runtime - 1.5 hours at which point I was re-enabling my virus protection software. I lost 30 minutes because I missed downloading CD5 - for system prompts and I think TDD, which I also wanted. I had to leave the upgrade in limbo waiting for the CD until I could download and copy from my production network. Well ... at least I won't make that mistake when I perform my production upgrade ;-)

Note: During the upgrade, config script UnityDbEx.sql went to 97% processor utilization for about a minute or so. I believe this occurred during the database upgrade and may be expected. I monitored it and utilization went back to normal.

3. Tested Cisco TSP (I had already upgrade the server to current version). Approx. runtime - 5 mins.

4. Tested Status monitor; SA; voicemail message send/receive via TUI and Outlook; tested MWI. Approx. runtime - 30 mins.

5. Additional Unity configuration changes I made following the upgrade:

- Bulk edit utility to change all subscribers back to Optional Conversation 1; Warn alternate greeting set; list in phone directory

- Updated the subscriber templates

- Advanced settings tool to update enable full-mailbox check for outside callers; how Unity handles a message interrupted by a disconnected call; how Unity saves new messages that subscribers skip; and changing the order for addressing and recording for subscribers.

Approx. runtime - 30 mins.

6. I did NOT implement SSL for Unity. We do not have a certificate server in our test lab yet and our production organization has yet to implement certificate services. Once that option becomes available, I will customize Unity.

I think that covers it. Unity 4.0(3), although running under an extremely light load, appears to be functioning well without application errors. It has been extremely valuable to be able to test prior to my production upgrade.

Sincerely,

Ginger

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content