cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.0 and VPIM vCard

sonal-patel
Level 1
Level 1

Our customer has Unity at one location and Meridian Mail at another.

eventually they would like to implement Unity at all locations, but in the meanwhile would like to use VPIM.

the only problem is the vCard . we've tried turning it off in meridian mail and Unity but still receive the vcard which does not allow us to forward messages unless we remove the vCard from Outlook. This is not an option with the customer because they are only using Voicemail and not UM. Even if they were using UM removing the vCard text file each time is unacceptable.

Any known issues or solutions?

7 Replies 7

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

I'm not sure what you are getting at here...

Unity can play and forward a message that has a vCard attached and it is selectable as to whether Unity attaches the vCard to the message.

Is the Meridian the system which is having the problems with the vCard? Where exactly can you not control the attaching of a vCard and where are you having the forwarding problems?

Thanks,

Keith

I was doing the interoperability testing with Unity 4.0 and Meridian Mail.

If i send a message from meridian mail to Unity and forward that message to another user at merdian mail, i get NDN. However, if i log into Outlook and remove the ATT#####.txt file from the original sender (meridian Mail) .i am then able to forward the message.

OK there is a know issue with this. The Nortel will NDN a message which it perceives to be text. From our testing we concluded that it perceives vCards, even its own, as text.

Since the vCard is not part of the VPIM specification one would think that they would have a way to disable sending it. Have you contacted Nortel for support on this? If they can't disable it we (Cisco) might need to make changes to the Voice Gateway 2000 to delete the file but that definitely won't be a quick fix...

vCard is in the specs, you can view the following doc: http://www.vpim.org/specs/diff.htm

I'm also receiving the file in Unity as a vCard format. here is what i am receiving:

BEGIN:VCARD

N:Patel;Sonal;;;

TEL;TYPE=VOICE:1112013

EMAIL;TYPE=INTERNET;TYPE=VPIM:1112013@lbmmng01.domain.iflex.com

SOUND;TYPE=32KADPCM;ENCODING=base64;VALUE=CID:3E53ADC6_AEC29AD5_FBF

END:VCARD

The definition for vCards was removed from the specification a little more than a year ago:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-vpim-vpimv2r2-05.txt

"Eliminated the vCard as a supported VPIM V2 content type.”

The issue here is that the Nortel product sends a vCard out but doesn't except it back in. The best solution is for the Nortel to not send a vCard just like Unity doesn't send one by default. The only other solution is for Unity to delete the Nortel vCard from the message but keep in mind that it shouldn’t be there in the first place.

Have you contacted Nortel to ask them if there is a way to stop their product from sending the vCard? This is the best solution.

Thanks,

Keith

paul.alvarez
Level 4
Level 4

Sonal-Patel,

From reading your postings, you were able to get Unity and Meridian Mail working. I'm in a similar situation and I was wondering if you can let me know if you used a Nortel Net Gateway for VPIM integration and what variant of the Meridian Mail module you used. Did you use the checkmate software as I could see that you're from Intelliflex ? Thanks.

The two solutions are used. We use the SmartTAP for Abridge, and the Nortel MMNG V1.1.