cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.0 Failover Licensing

mattski1
Level 1
Level 1

TAC seems clueless about Unity 4.0 Failover licensing issues. Help me, Jeff!

Scenario:

- Customer purchased Unity 4.0 with failover for new site

- Cisco sent product kit out with single PAK code. Got license registered in record time. License shows that "Secondary Server is Licensed"

- Primary Unity 4.0 server is installed, working perfectly with existing license.

- Secondary server is installed, failover configured, working perfectly EXCEPT that NO PORTS (or anything else) are licensed.

So I call TAC asking about licensing issues for the Failover Unity server and after multiple calls/conversations, I'm told that Cisco had a glitch in the system and that we should have been sent TWO PAK codes in the first place (one for the primary and one for the failover servers).

TAC generates a second license file that is tied to the MAC address of the Failover server. I've copied the new failover license to the \commserver\licenses directory on the PRIMARY Unity server, but can't seem to get the Failover box to recognize the license (and License Manager doesn't like it because it's got the MAC address for another box).

What gives? Did we really need two license files? Did the failover license license need to be generated with the MAC address of the primary, or secondary server? Is there a problem with the original license?

Did I mess a step here, or what?

Everything is working perfectly except the licensing for the failover server. Please help!!!!

Matt

P.S. A new/improved license faq for ALL aspects of Unity 4.x licensing that both TAC technicians and partners can read would be extremely helpful!

3 Replies 3

jones_amy
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same exact scenario can you please tell me what you did to resolve this. Did you indeed need 2 licenses or just one. When I registered unity I was only given one PAK and the only sent me one license.. HELP Thanks

According to TAC, Cisco's got a glitch in the licensing process and they're not generating TWO licenses from the single PAK code like they're supposed to. So, you'll need to call TAC and have them generate the 2nd license file for the failover box (make sure you tie the MAC address of the failover box to the second license).

Once you have the license make sure that it's copied into the same directory as the primary server's license ON THE PRIMARY SERVER. I'm not sure if you need to use the licensing tool or can just perform a normal copy to accomplish this. I used the licensing tool and the file copied OK, but it then complained that the MAC address was wrong for the server when it tried to apply the license.

After BOTH licenses are placed on the PRIMARY server you can run failoverconfig.exe per the instructrions listed in the failover guide. Once I figured out the licensing problems with TAC and made sure that both licenses were placed on the PRIMARY server before running failoverconfig, things ran perfectly and smoothly.

Hope this all helps!

Matt

This is how Failover licensing works..

There is only one license that will be provided for failover systems and that will go onto the primary Unity server. If you open the license file using notepad, you should see the field LicSecondaryServerIs is set to Licensed. You then go ahead and install Unity on the primary server, install the license file and configure the integration using UTIM. Once you are done with the primary server, you install Unity on the secondary server with the default license file. There is no need to run Licensing wizard on the secondary server. Once the install is completed on the secondary server and prior to running UTIM to configure integration, run the Failover Config Wizard on the primary server first and then on the secondary server. This will replicate the licensing information from the primary sever to the secondary server. Now, run UTIM on the secondary server to configure integration on the secondary server. If you pull up the licensing applet on the secondary server, it should display the licensing information that is present on the primary server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: