cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.0 Text to Speech

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

From what I understand RealSpeak will be included in the price for Unity and there is no need to buy another license. Is this correct? Also, will there be any significant improvements to the vocalizations for RealSpeak?

5 Replies 5

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

2.X, 3.X and 4.X all use the same RealSpeak engine and all sound the same. (2.X and 3.X also offered TTS3000, 4.X does not.)

The data you have on the TTS licensing isn't correct. In 3.X, all unified messaging systems included TTS but in 4.X they do not. TTS has a separate license for 4.X which is on a per session basis. Some special 4.0 unified messaging ‘bundles’ will still include a set number of TTS sessions though.

All Upgrades to Unity 4.0 will include a TTS upgrade from TTS3000 to RealSpeak.

Keith

So 3.1.5 includes Realspeak correct with the licensing? Or would you need to purchase extra licensing for realspeak with realspeak? I have a customer who purchased and jus recieved 3.1.5 but also for some reason orderd 3000 dollars worth of realspeak as well? Help me understand please

Whoa! 3k for RealSpeak? I got it for just under 1k. I can't speak on what you have and that may be a valid sum as I am not familiar with the licensing schemes . Maybe you ordered a scaled down version? I dunno. Where is Jeff when you need him? :) I ordered it and had to do the setup program and put in the new license key that activated RealSpeak which is already on the system but in a deactivated state.

The RealSpeak engine is licensed per session (port) so depending on how many TTS sessions you want to support at the same time it's going to cost different amounts - it's not a flat fee thing. That's how they charge us for their engine so that's how it's licensed to the end users as well.

We only have a 4 port system since we only have 30 users but I guess more ports=more money. Thanks Jeff.