Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Unity 4.x and Win2003

Per the conversation at http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.ee9602c/0#selected_message

have there been any updates on that that I might have missed?

We too are in the process of replacing hardware on both the domain controllers and unity itself during a Unity 3.x to 4.x migration and were wondering how support for 2003 might be coming.

I am not at all assuming 2003 will be suipported on the unity 4.x server itself soon - but would be overjoyed if it were :-)

But the integration into AD 2003 domain controllers would be nice to have certified as the DCs you don't have many chances to reinstall nicely later :-)

Ken Johnson

Mgr. Network Services

LeTourneau University

---------------------------------

CIPTUG, http://www.ciptug.org

Cisco IP Telephony users Group

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Unity 4.x and Win2003

I believe qualifying Unity to run on Win2K3 is not planned until the 4.0(3) release - it wasn't deemed show-stopper-critical since the primary benefit of 2K3 is the changes in AD (DC/GC stuff) and you really shouldn't have Unity acting as the DC/GC in a UM environment anyway and a VM environement shouldn't have any need for the 2K3 changes.

With the limited testing resources at their disposal they have to make hard choices and that was one of them.

5 REPLIES

Ken,

My understanding is that currently, Unity 4.X does not support any other message stores besides Exchange 2000 in Windows 2000. With that in mind, I also understand that Exchange 2000 will not Run on a Windows 2003 server because the architecture has changed

Exchange Platinum for 2003 Server is coming out June/July timeframe, and I'm sure the Unity Development team already has plenty of Release Candidate copies to work with.

In the meantime, for your migration you can convert your current DC's to 2K3 and have them co-exist with the Exchange Servers you have running on 2K servers, even if they are domain controllers.

In my Unity Lab, I have added a 2003 Domain Controller to the existing AD with no problems.

Cisco Employee

The qualification of Windows 2003 running on servers external to Unity (including DC/GCs of course) just completed - everything is cool, they just found a few odd issues that aren't critical. For instance on 3.1 systems if you open the SA on a 2003 DC the media master control has problems - this is not an issue in 4.0 or on servers not running 2003 though so it's not a show stopper.

There will be a field noticed kicked out in the next few days that states this and will include the test procedures as well as the issues found.

As for Exchange 2003, support for that will be coming with the Unity 4.0(3) release later this summer.

Thanks! That is good news. Will there be certification for Win2003 on the Unity server itself (in an exchange off-server configuration) before then or is that all together?

(Just trying to see if there is any way to put our new 4.x Unity box on 2003 since exchange will remain on a separate box and definitely on E2K :-)

Thanks!

- ken

Cisco Employee

I believe qualifying Unity to run on Win2K3 is not planned until the 4.0(3) release - it wasn't deemed show-stopper-critical since the primary benefit of 2K3 is the changes in AD (DC/GC stuff) and you really shouldn't have Unity acting as the DC/GC in a UM environment anyway and a VM environement shouldn't have any need for the 2K3 changes.

With the limited testing resources at their disposal they have to make hard choices and that was one of them.

Ok - thanks! No - I agree it's not a showstopper. I just didn't want to get into an upgrade and then kick myself if it was certified 3 weeks later. Thanks!!

- ken

Views
Helpful
Replies