Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Unity 4.x Architecture Question

I am working with Unity 4.0(2) and Exchange 5.5, and noticed that the install creates a number of containers in exchange. I believe there is a location object created with a few folders and some raw properties. My question is :

What are these used for?

Do they get backed up from the normal Exchange backup?

They appear to be placed in the schema through some means other than the normal Exchange API calls, I am guessing through LDAP somehow. We just want to understand how Disaster recovery is affected, and through what process are these restored.

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Unity 4.x Architecture Question

yeah, that's the networking chapter that I haven't posted yet - the regular networking docs for 4.0(2) can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_book09186a008014f7aa.html

it goes into all kinds of detail about the features but yeah, other Unity servers "know" about one another by pulling information from the shared directory including subscribers, distribution lists and location objects - this allows folks to address messages to users on other Unity servers and the like.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Check out the Unity Architecture Overview doc on the Documents page of www.CiscoUnityTools.com - it goes into what the location objects are used for and how information is replicated around the directory - the short story is these objects are used for digital networking features when more than one Unity is found on the same network.

Yes, they're created through LDAP in the case of Ex55 and yes, a backup will pick them up and restore them - you can also use DiRT (also found on www.CiscoUnityTools.com) to do a backup of Unity data which includes the location objects, handlers etc... which are then created on the fly during restore.

Yeah..I looked at the document, but it says to refer to chapter 3 for the information... No chapter 3 to refer to!

Ah..so they would be used for directory looks ups to other Unity servers when there are multiple ones in an organization?

Cisco Employee

yeah, that's the networking chapter that I haven't posted yet - the regular networking docs for 4.0(2) can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_book09186a008014f7aa.html

it goes into all kinds of detail about the features but yeah, other Unity servers "know" about one another by pulling information from the shared directory including subscribers, distribution lists and location objects - this allows folks to address messages to users on other Unity servers and the like.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.