cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 7.X VM only, with Failover- general config question(s)

mmertens
Level 1
Level 1

I am setting up a Unity 7.X Voice Mail-only, with Failover deployment. They do not have Exchange in their environemnt so I will be placing Exchange on the Unity server(s). I'm looking at the procedure on CCO and it implies (or I read it as) that the full version of Exchange goes on the secondary server and Administration software for Exchange goes on the primary. So the message store only exists on the secondary/failover? I'm quite confused as to what components go on which servers, and how redundant the end-product is going/suppossed to be.

Also, the general procedure implies that the Failover server should be installed first, is that correct?

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can install Exchange on any of them, obviusly the recommendation is the secondary.

Read this:

Requirements for Cisco Unity Failover

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/7x/requirements/7xcusysreq.html#wp472908

Installation Guide for Cisco Unity Release 5.x in a Unified Messaging Configuration with Microsoft Exchange (With Failover Configured)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/installation/guide/umexfo/5xcuigumefox.html

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

But I'm confused in that it gives an either/or scenario for where the message store is located: Either on the primary or on the secondary, but doesn't give a list of requirements if the message store is located on both. Can it be located on both? The documentation doesn't read that way.

Also, when it mentions about the Subscribers being home on a particular server, is there not some form of replication where both servers have copies of the Subscriber database?

Thanks!

The only options are:

Other server

Primary

Secondary

There is no "both" option.

If you want Exchange clustering, separate servers are required. Requirements are on the same link.

If you mean both servers to have the Unity DB, that's the whole point of a failover configuration.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Okay, not much Failover then.

I'm not an Exchange person so I was thinking there would end up being some form of "Exchange Clustering" between the Unity Primary and Unity Failover servers, but it is really just the Subscribers, AA, etc. that have "failover" capabilities.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: