Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unity 7835 Server

I have a unity box thats a 7835. I'm trying to get backup exec to work with it but it doesn't see the tape drive. I actually called Veritas before I noticed that there was no SCSI card. The tape drive is attached to the Array Controller. This isn't correct. It needs to be attached to a SCSI card. It's not even seen by Windows at startup.

So my question is why did Cisco sell this box with this configuration? Does anyone else have this and does it work?

4 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Unity 7835 Server

Is this is the MCS-7835-733/1000 which is a Compaq DL-380 G1 or the MCS-7835-1266 which is Compaq DL-380 G2? Either way, Cisco manufacturing doesn't configure the hardware, Compaq/HP does.

If the drive was ordered separately I can see how the error might have been made. I believe the tape drive for the older MCS-7835 uses SCSI narrow and needed an additional SCSI wide to narrow converter which wasn't shipped for a while) or something like that. Maybe somebody made the error during installation because the array was all that fit the interface on the tape drive.

If you can let me know the kind of server you have I can provide more information for you.

Thanks,

Keith

it's not a 380. it's an older server, 3 years old. it's probably a 1600. it's model is MCS-7835 TD74-1769-01.

Gold

Is this the server you have?

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/mxsv/mxcvsr/prodlit/mc783_ds/mc783_d1.gif

The MCS-7835 has a 68 pin male SCSI connector. The Tape Drive has a 50 pin male SCSI connector. If you ordered the MCS-7835 with a Tape Drive installed, you have a 68 pin female to 50 pin female adapter in the middle to make this transition. If the tape drive was ordered is as a spare (MCS-SPARE-DAT=) it didn't ship with the adapter for a period.

Let me know...

yes that is what the server looks like.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content