Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Unity and Exchange 2000

I have Unity 3.1.1 with Exchange 2000 on the same box. Everything functions well. I want to add another Exchange 2000 server to the network. How would I go about integrating the new Exchange server with Unity, Active Directory, DNS, etc.? The installation Guide I have is not that clear on this.

Tony

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Unity and Exchange 2000

The installation of that additional Exchange server is completely beyond the scope of Unity. For installation instructions for an additional Exchange server, we'd point you to Microsoft. There is some information about how Unity interacts with Exchange 2000 servers, along with requirements in the Unity design guide. Here's a link to it...

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/design/udg/udg_060.htm

This seems like a good question.

Assuming you have built Unity with Exchange on the local server, then you build a new exchange server and move your mailboxes to the new exchange server, do you need to do anything to have Unity start using the new exchange server?

Cisco Employee

There's a few things to take into consideration with that scenario. First of all, there's new Exchange objects in the directory with the addition of that new server. Unity's AvDsGlobalCatalog service should "recognize" those new Exchange objects that Unity is interested in so Unity can see that new server. Secondly, Unity can recognize that a given user has been moved from one server to another. However, some older versions of Unity weren't all that great at picking this up. If the system is not at 3.1.5, you might want to get it there. Additionally, Unity has the concept of a "partner" Exchange server. This is the sever that holds the Unity System Mailbox. If it's desired to change Unity's "partner" Exchange sever to the new server on the network, the Unity Configuration portion of setup must be run. It can be found at \CommServer\ConfigurationSetup\Setup.exe. Please note that previous to 3.1.5, this setup had major problems disconnecting from one E2K "partner" server and re-connecting to a new "partner" server.

If you are planning on changing the "partner" server or not, getting Unity to 3.1.5 is a good idea.

Views
Helpful
Replies