Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity and message store

I have a cetralized CCM cluster(2 CCMS), and 4 remote offices.If every office has a Ex2K server, is there any benefit I have a unity server in each remote office?My understanding is, if I centralize unity together with CCM, then remote user want to retrieve mail from IP phone, what happed is ,message has to travel to central Unity server from remote office exchange server and then travel back to IP phone. Am I right? If this right, what's the Microsoft best practice? By the way, what's the receommended capacity for one unity server in terms of user size?

Thanks

3 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Unity and message store

Well Microsoft won't have best practices on this subject because Unity and CallManager are Cisco products.

We do discuss this in the Unity 4.0 Design Guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_implementation_design_guide_chapter09186a00801187c4.html#1103955

Connecting Cisco Unity with Exchange Over a WAN:

If Cisco Unity subscribers are homed on an Exchange server that is connected with the Cisco Unity server over a WAN, there must be no more than a 40 millisecond delay, regardless of the size of the pipe. This configuration is not a standard design, and is discouraged. In general, Cisco Unity should service local Exchange message stores and possibly one or two remote message stores. The Cisco Unity server, the Cisco Unity partner Exchange server, and other network resources that Cisco Unity requires must be in the same location. The minimum bandwidth between the Cisco Unity server and any Exchange server on which Cisco Unity subscribers are homed is about 24 Kbps per mailbox being serviced, including idle periods.

The bottom line here is that each of the links must be highly available, bandwidth must be reserved between Exchange and Unity using QoS and that latency must be extremely low. If any one of these factors changes at any time Unity will be dramatically impacted in a negative manner. For this reason I HIGHLY encourage that you place a Unity server at each site. Just me that this is not an area where you would want to push the design envelope to save a buck or two.

Hope the helps,

Keith

Ok, I see your point. But here is another question: Whether oOne Cisco CCM can support more than one unity server? If it can, how can CCM tell which Unity it should send the call to, for example, userA on Unity A, User B on Unity B, but there is only one CCM ?I heard CCM 3.2 support multiple pilots, does that solve my question?

Thanks

Gold

Supporting multiple Unity systems is no sweat for CallManager 3.2 and later. You want to check out the Voice Mail Profile feature. Configuration information is available here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00800cde9d.html

Thanks,

Keith

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content