Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

unity and transcode

Here is the scenario:

Central office has Unity /CCM and IP phones, in CCM we setup this site as region A. Remote office only has IP phones, in CCM we setup this site as region B. Between this two regions we use G.729.

Now the record and save format in Unity is G.711. We'll still keep this.I know the Unity server is capable receive G.729 calls, and in our case will store it as G.711.

Apparently region B user retrieve mailbox will use G.729,in this case. I understand Unity will transcode G.711 to G.729 on the fly. But we don't want the Unity server do the transcode how can I disable it? Further, if you know, how can I setup transcode, maybe in the router or CCM?

Thanks

1 REPLY
Gold

Re: unity and transcode

You can't turn off transcoding in Unity. If you have an external transcoder at the hub you can force CallManager to transcode calls to Unity by turning off g.729 support in the TSP. Once this is done Unity will only advertise that it supports g.711ulaw to the CallManager and hardware transcoding will be invoked.

To do this change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Active Voice\AvSkinny

from

"G729 Enabled"=dword:00000001

to

"G729 Enabled"=dword:00000000

and then reboot. After that Unity will only report support for g.711ulaw to CallManager.

Transcoding in CallManager requires hardware such as the 6608 or the DSP farm for a router. There is no software transcoding in CallManager.

Hope that helps,

Keith

Views
Helpful
Replies