Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Unity Backup SQL error

When running a unity backup to a mapped network drive, the backup of the SQL database fails with the following error. However, when I backup to the local drive, all works well.

(error) in cmbBackup routing:[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open backup device 'G:\UnityDBBackUp.sql'. Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more details.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. number=-2147218303

User elected to skip backup of reportDB

The SQL Server Error log shows the following error which leads me to believe that SQL cannot open the target directory:

BackupDiskFile::CreateMedia: Backup device 'G:\UnityDBBackUp.sql' failed to create. Operating system error = 5(Access is denied.).

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Unity Backup SQL error

Someone else reported something along these lines a couple weeks ago... me and the QA folks backup to network shares all the time and don't have a problem. I'm puzzled as to what the issue could be... I'll poke around on MSDN and see if I can dig something up.

Jeff,

I saw the other posts. Here is the Technet article that addresses my issue....

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q207187

My Unity server is on a domainA and the machine I am trying to backup to is a stand alone server. The problem seems to be that the SQLServer Account needs to be granted access to the share and since the machine is not on the domain, there is no method for me to grant this access. I will have to back up locally and then use NT Backup to copy the backup directory to the backup server until we find another work around. Please post your comments back to me here. Stephanie

you could duplicate the account with the same name and pw on the backup server and via passthrough authentication the backup account can send directly to the shared drive.

Views
Helpful
Replies