cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unity box

DARVIN.APPANAH
Level 1
Level 1

I have built our unity box we have purchased 50 linceses but it only creating 4 ports on the unity box. on the call manager i have created 50 voice mail ports. in the service admin availbility page . it registers 4 ports but the other 46 are rejected. i had a look at licensed fetures and it sayd voice ports 4 . i am stuck can some one help

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Those 50 licenses are for 50 subscribers, not 50 ports... there is no 50 port license for Unity. If you pop open the Key Dump utility found in the tools depot or in the Unity program group and take a look, I'm betting you have 4 voice ports and 50 voice mail user licenses that show on the output.

gshonting
Level 1
Level 1

There are 2 parts of the license- Users and Ports. Users determines how many mailboxes you can support. Ports is how many connections to the phone system you have. They will not be the same!. If you have a 4 port license, 4 people can be talking to unity at any one time. That means leaving messages, using auto attendant, listening to messages, dialing MWI, or Message notification. If I call in to leave a message, as soon as i am transferred to the vm pilot number, I am using the first port. If a user then calls Unity to listen to a message, that is the second port, etc.... until you use 4 ports. The fifth caller to unity gets a busy signal, or transferred to an operator if that is how call manager is configured.

It is hard to determine exactly how many ports are needed for an install, because it will be affected by how much voicemail traffic they have, are they using auto attendant heavily, do they do alot of message notification, etc... But a good rule of thumb is this- Light usage- ports should be 10% of user counts. Heavy usage- Ports should be 20% of user count.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: